Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another actor who has had his reputation ruined - NOT Guilty

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Another actor who has had his reputation ruined - NOT Guilty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26068034
Coronation Street actor William Roache has been cleared of rape and indecent assault charges by a jury.
Makes you wonder about the DLT Prosecution
16 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Another actor who has had his reputation ruined - NOT Guilty

I think the big J word called Jealousy is a lot to blame
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Got to be honest here I have to wonder about some of these cases because many of them are simply one persons word against another and wh has the best legal team in court.
That said.. for different people to come forward who don't even know each other and make the same allegations you have to wonder about the defendant.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Even with DNA evidence the number of people found guilty of Rape is very low.
I Guess that is one reason Police forces in the past along with the DPP were reluctant to take court action due to time and costs as the outcome would be not guilty, the only verdict to be reaches if there is any doubt at all.
Community Veteran

One has to respect the verdict from the jury.  In this case, however, I find it strange. There were 5 women who all made accusations, as 7Up said.  Were they all lying?
Before this case was proceeded with the Police would have been sure there was a case to answer. Because of Roache's high profile the decision would have been taken at a very senior level.
Likewise, the DDP would have also agreed there was a possibility of a guilty verdict and once again this would have been decided at a high level.
But as I said earlier we must respect the verdict of the jury.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

This is an interesting and perhaps valid comment on the trial and result http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10621418/Bill-Roache-not-guilty-high-stakes-gamble-back...
Devonian
Grafter

It's very difficult from an outsiders point of view I think.
On one hand I hope he is innocent, and British justice has been done.
Allegations that are 30 or 40 or even 50 years old... I have to wonder why the women waited so long, all of them.
Is it a case of 1 seeing 'easy' money after the Jimmy Saville case and the others jumping on the band waggon?
Had he simply spurned their advances in younger years?

On the other hand, did the jury think exactly like the above and find him innocent based on that, and was/is he actually a sexual predator?
With a case like this he will never clear his name unfortunately.
The same goes for Rolf Harris, DLT, etc.
Only 10 years ago being touchy feely in the work place was a common and acceptable thing, so are these women simply looking back and seeing the wrong things?
As GlenEagles said, even with DNA, rape convictions are tiny.
I certainly don't think any of us are in a position to judge, that's up to the jury.
Community Veteran

There's no doubt that Bill Roache had a bit of a reputation with the ladies when he was younger. How else would he get the nickname of (male chicken) Roache. But that said how is he any different from footballers and other stars who have women throwing themselves at them?
I think it's all a matter of perception. Many women appear to throw themselves at footballers, and other celebs, under the delusion that they will soon be the new Mrs "star". When that doesn't happen things start to change. "I think I was treated badly" "I think I was taken advantage of". On top of that in this case we have the length of time aspect.
Personally I think some sort of time limit is long overdue when it comes to reporting a crime. The mind can play tricks where fiction becomes fact.
CX
Grafter

And yet the tarts that knowingly falsely accuse men of such crimes in order to get "compo", have protection from their names becoming public knowledge, to the extent that somebody completely unrelated to the case can be prosecuted for naming them.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

I have just heard again the interview that William Roache gave to the New Zealand TV station, NZTV in 2013. During the interview Roache suggested that victims of abuse might be being punished for their actions in previous lives.
Roache claims that he was misunderstood in the interview - I have my own opinion on that.
Community Veteran

No smoke without fire comes to mind.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
No smoke without fire comes to mind.

By making his offensive and ignorant statement Roache left himself open to all sorts of accusations, whether false or not.
The last thing an abused woman or man needs is the suggestion that maybe they deserved it as a punishment for what they did in their 'past life.'
Roache made a lot of enemies when he gave that interview.
Community Veteran

From the Telegraph link Jim posted:
The prosecution also had to contend with Roache’s instantly-recognisable Coronation Street co-stars trooping into court to tell the jury that he was “lovely”, a “perfect gentleman”. They might also have added that he is a devotee of the obscure Pure Love Movement, a Manchester-based hippy group that believes “pure love conquers all”.

Manchester Movement
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

In the end it will be the Court of Public Opinion which will have the final say on William Roache.
We shall see.
WTF
Grafter

Obviously, I wasn't in court, but from reports, it seems that the women making the accusations had some degree of credibility, for example Roach appears to have been in the places they claimed at the time they claimed the crimes were committed: I would guess it wouldn't be too easy to find that sort of thing out. 
Consequently, I can't agree with those who claim the prosecution shouldn't have been brought:  if anyone else had been accused by so many women there would have - or at least, should have - been complete outrage if nothing had been done.
Same for DLT.