Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Phisher email

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Another Phisher email

In WARNING - DODGY Email claims to be from plusnet I wrote that I had changed all passwords, especially of my wife who had been the recipient.

She has now received this:

Dear xxx@xxxxxx.plus.com,

We have recalculate your fiscal activity from the last year and we noticed that you have an outstanding tax remain of £375.28 GBP to claim.

Please validate and submit your tax rebate information in order to claim it right now.

Get Started [a Radio Button]

All the information are secure transmitted thru our SSL-128 Bits server.

© Crown copyright

Message ID:20180811175425.183495EB3A69B599@hmrc.online.gov.uk

It emanated from a similar source to the previous email, but the details are unrelated to the message to my wife’s address, in fact dealing with a booking.

The message source contained 50+ pages of gibberish (taken to be encoded info.

Should I be concerned that, despite password changes, such emails are received by my wife?

AND is PN’s spam checker really doing its duty/

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Re: Another Phisher email

@Luzern - Those 50+ pages you refer to may well be a payload, such as a virus, logger, malware etc. There is another thread on this so you might want to ad the above to it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

When you say PlusNet, is the from address a PlusNet mailbox?

Sadly they can easily be forged anyway, and it seems PlusNet are being targeted at the moment.

Yep I know it is a Sunday, but if a member of staff is working today and replies to this thread, it may be worth @Luzern PM'ing someone the full unedited message with the e-mail headers too.

It may or may not help them, but better than nothing I suppose.

EDIT: Thanks @Mook didn't think of that, it seems a bit extereme of length for something which doesn't contain some kind of Malware.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@Alex No! 

lwsacysta@hmrc.online.gov.uk

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@Mook wrote:

@Luzern - Those 50+ pages you refer to may well be a payload, such as a virus, logger, malware etc. There is another thread on this so you might want to ad the above to it.

have you got the link, please?@Mook 

Community Veteran

Thanks,

The question is it has come to your PlusNet mailbox when clearly it wasn't from them.

Was your PlusNet username correct? If so I would PM someone with the whole detail.

It may be nothing, but you never know.

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion

The first three words tell you it's a fake, and it only gets worse thereafter.

Community Veteran

Yep forgot to mention the English is very poor too Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Community Veteran

Maybe it is from the same scammers, maybe not.

The format is different, and the fact they can't speak English very well on the latter one, would suspect it might be a different group.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@Alex wrote:

Thanks,

The question is it has come to your PlusNet mailbox when clearly it wasn't from them.

Was your PlusNet username correct? If so I would PM someone with the whole detail.

It may be nothing, but you never know.

Bemused! Are you meaning mail box for items from Plusnet or mailboxes for any item addressed to us at x@username.plus.com?

Username was OK.