cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Olympic side effect

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Another Olympic side effect

I've just become the victim of the "Olympics excuse". I paid to have an item of equipment to be delivered by Royal Mail Special Delivery. Apparently the Olympics gives the Royal Mail an excuse to not meet its delivery commitments to deliver by 13:00 on the day. They are quite happy and unapologetic about taking the extra money for special delivery yet providing a second class delivery service.  Even though I'm within easy walking distance of an olympic event I don't think I've seen the roads around here so quiet.
I wish the UK had never bid for the Olympics 2012, we could have spent the money training our athletes and had much better medal results. The downside of these games is that London businesses are paying the cost in other ways such as the Transport For London annexation of a big chunk of the road system for unnecessary Zil Lanes.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Another Olympic side effect

Maybe you've missed the fact that we are currently 4th in the medals league Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I know Artmo - I agree with you, it is pretty appalling really considering the hoopla and spend, let alone the cost to UK business.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

..........and we've just won another gold Grin Grin Grin
I think when the figures are issued there will be a net profit to UK business.  There is an estimated £1B from the trade delegations that have been meeting in London this week alone. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: artmo
..........and we've just won another gold Grin Grin Grin
There is an estimated £1B from the trade delegations that have been meeting in London this week

and the Olympics cost us..... How Much  ?
Community Veteran

Probably the only country to make a profit out of these Olympics will be France.
It seems only they had the sense and foresight to have a good sports training area with excellent accommodation, away from all the hustle and bustle. All within an easy train ride of London.  Even some of our own athletes were using their facilities.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Not in Weymouth there isn't
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-19108734
and from local knowledge the various committees put so many frighteners out about traffic congestion, crowded trains etc. that the actual traffic levels going to Weymouth are well down on normal and the local traders are also reporting that the number of visitors is well down
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
and the Olympics cost us..... How Much  ?

I think the final budget was around £9B and it is suggested it will come in under budget.  It will take a few years before the final benefits will be seen.  Inward investment will not come in weeks.
Remember also money will come from sponsors, ticket sales etc.  NBC the American broadcaster paid $1.18B for the rights to show the games in the US.  If you, therefore, take the worldwide broadcasting rights these would have made a significant contribution to the income. This is only one income stream remember.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: artmo
Maybe you've missed the fact that we are currently 4th in the medals league Roll eyes

3rd!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Even better Smiley Smiley  The feelgood factor that this generates is fantastic Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Must admit, I thought the old boy on the motorbike was going to win that one, he was leading most of the way!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.