cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another MP Pleads Guilty

Community Veteran

Another MP Pleads Guilty

Another MP has pleaded guilty today to false accounting.  He is Labour MP for Barnsley Central Eric Illsley.
MP Pleads Guilty
27 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Another MP Pleads Guilty

Minor correction - he sits as an Independent having been kicked out of Labour Party.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"If Illsley receives a prison term of 12 months or more he will be disqualified from being an MP under the Representation of the People Act 1981."
So, with a sentence of under 12 months, despite not attending his place of work and being unable to communicate with his constituents under current rules he would keep his job - with pay and expenses?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12157768
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Minor correction - he sits as an Independent having been kicked out of Labour Party.

Sorry, you are right.  Thank you for the correction.
@alanf, if last week's sentence for Chaytor sets any precedence then a sentence less than 12 months seems doubtful. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Although he was elected as a Labour MP
Community Veteran

It hasn't taken the Labour Party long to twist the knife - they have asked for a bye election stating his position is untenable. May have been better to wait until sentencing which may not be for a month.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
@alanf, if last week's sentence for Chaytor sets any precedence then a sentence less than 12 months seems doubtful.  

Chaytor pleaded guilty to 3 charges of obtaining over £22,000. Illsley is pleading guilty to obtaining £14,500. I am not sure how many offences that relates to. The sentences could be very different though I have just noticed that it is the same judge hearing the two cases.
Community Veteran

He pleaded guilty to 3 charges.
I think all the MPs will appear at Southwark Crown Court which I assume is the Crown Court with jurisdiction over Parliament. I think it is a good move to have the same judge in charge.  It will give a degree of balance.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
He pleaded guilty to 3 charges.
I think all the MPs will appear at Southwark Crown Court which I assume is the Crown Court with jurisdiction over Parliament. I think it is a good move to have the same judge in charge.  It will give a degree of balance.
All law courts (within England and Wales) have jurisdiction over all of England and Wales.
The location of courts hearing a particular trial are as best as I can see weigted towards the interests of justice, i.e. a judge competent to hear the case, the changes of getting a fair trail and unbiased jury, the distance defendants have to travel to court and there ability to keep getting to the court during the trail etc etc
Community Veteran

Hence Southwark I guess Roll eyes Roll eyes
Checking with a solicitor friend, the Crown Court used is the nearest one unless there are extenuating circumstances i.e security. 
johpal
Grafter

Barnsley has only Magistrates and County Courts.  Cheesy
The man has to go; he has pleaded guilty. Labour are justified IMHO in calling for a by-election.
jmd
Grafter

My nice MP [got a Christmas card from him! Mann of the people] was on Look North this evening stating that there would be more prosecutions to come.  Mann also said that at least Ilsley pleaded guilty today and that he should step down. 
nadger
Rising Star

Southwark Crown Court do seem to handle a lot of fraud cases and, as had been said, the same judge should be consistent.
Won't apply but £14,500/£22,000 x 18months = 11.86 months
Community Veteran

It has just been announced that Illsley is to resign as an MP.
Community Veteran

So now we have 2 by-elections coming up.  Labour should retain both seats although at the weekend the LibDem, Bob Russell, said their canvas returns indicated that they were ahead in tomorrow's by-election in Oldham East and Saddleworth.