Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another - I thought it was April Fools Day - Galloway wins

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Another - I thought it was April Fools Day - Galloway wins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17549388
Respect Party candidate George Galloway has taken the Bradford West parliamentary seat from Labour, winning the by-election by 10,100 votes.
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Another - Ii thought it was April Fools Day - Galloway wins

I soon got fed up of hearing his victory speech on local and national news this morning.
A brief kick in the teeth for the 'major' parties.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Another - I thought it was April Fools Day - Galloway wins

It was pretty much a "None of the above" vote when it comes to the major parties. I think the Party political system does nothing good for this country. The leaders of the Parties are just those good at climbing the organisation within their parties. We'd be far better off with 650 elected representative who actually represent their constituents rather than being dictated to the Party/Presidential model which has currently evolved. A much more compact group of "leaders" elected from within the 650 to form the day to day executive.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I think there will be a lot of heart searching going on in the main political parties this morning.  A big wake-up call Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have worked in Pakistan and now in Saudi Arabia and Galaway has tapped into a line of thinking which appeals to the ethnic vote in Bradford. But he will be in a minority of one in Westminster.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
randpwar
Grafter

This used to be the occasion when the Libs won, a mid-term by-election, where, as has been mentioned, the best vote is ‘none of the above’. I hope artmo is right and the major parties have a good look at themselves but I’m not sure they listen or know what things are like for ‘normal’ people and what we think
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: PeterLoftus
Galaway has tapped into a line of thinking which appeals to the ethnic vote in Bradford
A fair summation
Community Veteran

Or there's a lot of cat lovers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Heard it called on the radio  "The Bradford Spring"..........think that's going a bit too far
Community Veteran

Yes, Galloway used the expression in his acceptance speech Roll eyes
x47c
Grafter

I think we get the politicans we deserve.
A conversation with an 'average voter' on matters of state would probably leaving you screaming in despair, and convince you that an alternative system should be installed without delay.
Many people live in a total bubble, some of them I hear phoning into to my local radio station - some appear to borderline wacko's.
One good example came from the MSE savings website a while back where a poster wrote about being outraged to suddenly discover they were no longer getting 5% on their savings and that no savings groups were offering decents rates and why was this.
Some asked had not the OP listened to a single news broadcast on any channel in the last 4 years or read any paper/online comment anywhere or talked to anyone during that period as the credit crisis and the interest rate drop had been discussed virtually every single week if not every day.
Others more blunty wondered why the OP was permitted to vote since they seemed to demonstate a total lack of awareness/interest in what was going on in the world.
The OP did not appear to be a troll but confessed that they not really have any interest in these things.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I think the Party political system does nothing good for this country. The leaders of the Parties are just those good at climbing the organisation within their parties. We'd be far better off with 650 elected representative who actually represent their constituents rather than being dictated to the Party/Presidential model which has currently evolved. A much more compact group of "leaders" elected from within the 650 to form the day to day executive.

Here, here, well said that man. I couldn't agree more.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!