Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Government Scam

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Another Government Scam

Well I found out yesterday and today that (of course to help save the planet). Any plastic bag is subject to a 10p tax now. Wherever you get one from.

Answers on a postcard as to where the 2p in VAT goes now. Of course it is to help save the planet, and reduce waste.

The Government must all think we are Sun readers - I give up.

29 REPLIES 29
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Re: Another Government Scam

@Alex

If you worried about the tax you pay and where it goes to you would never sleep at night!

You probably pay more tax to Save The NHS than you do to Save The Planet and Social Care is unaffordable because we pay more percentage Overseas Aid than other G7 countries. It goes on.....

BTW it is the 5th anniversary of the Leave EU Referendum today!!

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 79

@Alex Dunno about you, but I've never bought a plastic bag, or asked for one, for at least 5 years now - even before this 'anti-plastic' hoo-har started. If I go out and think I may be buying anything that won't fit in either my pocket or 'man-bag' - if they still use that term - I take with me a small canvas bag that folds down to almost nothing and put it in a pocket. Simple!

John
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I have boxes of old carrier bags but some, like the Tesco ones, were designed to disintegrate after a certain number of years so can't be used safely any longer.  One of my colleagues used to get his lunch from Sainsbury's pretty much every day and always bought a bag which he threw in the bin (not a recycling bin) after use.

I have so far managed not to pay for a bag and I'm surprised how long my old very thin Morrisons bags have lasted.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 6

I agree Jonpe.  I went to grab a few bags from a bag of bags a few years ago and as I pulled them out, blimey, what a mess those disintegrating Tesco bags made.  Some of the orange Sainsburys bags weren't usable either, although they hadn't broken down like the Tesco ones.

And yes, those Morrisons ones are my favourites as they go on for ages.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

A bit radical @Alex but here's and idea, how about not buying one.

I refuse totally, and had stopped using them yonks ago. Just a pity that supermarkets stopped selling items wrapped up in the bloody stuff. 

Rubbish collected from our house? Two often three bags of recyclable (yeah right) papers and plastic ever two weeks, one nearly always of general rubbish ever two weeks... all of which goes into a landfill site on the other side of Carmarthen from us and which you would have smelled when going passed on your way too Tenby or beyond.

The human race has always produced waste, but at least it used to decay over time. 

PS. Would anybody like to volunteer to tell my Mrs not to buy yet another of those 'bags for life' just because she likes the look of them. Not kidding, but we must have at least ten of the damn things "just in case" stuck in the back of our car. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

I got a "proper" bag for life (no not er indoors lol) from LIDL. Well i didn't get it from there, i acquired it from a 3rd party by coincident however it's one of their older original ones which was made to last. It's literally stronger than a tarpaulin. It's that thick that the handles are stitched on and yes it's plastic.

I have no issue with a bag tax. This is reality, the government is in a massive hole because Boris and co didn't do a New Zealand on us and everyone and their dog was more worried about their "rights". Because of this, we're now in a super massive black financial hole.

Personally i think it'll have to be dragged out over centuries to clear it off teh books however we all know from previous incarnations of Tory PM that they want it done ASAP because of our precious credit rating.

So am i fussed about an extra 2p going to the government? Not really. It's a drop in the ocean compared to the £billions they've been pumping out via HMRC to keep people alive during Covid.

The real scam is wasting money on expensive contracts to private companies to provide once state owned service at a profit.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

We could discuss this for ever but…..are Private owned companies more efficient and better value for money than state owned companies ?

I guess we all have had to use both at one time or another so should have some idea of the answer…..

We are born into history and history is born into us.
jab1
Seasoned Hero

Simplistic answer, @gleneagles is YES, merely on the fact that a true commercial organisation stands or falls on its abilities - no-one is going to keep on throwing cash at a failing company, whereas a State-financed one can be as inefficient as it likes, and the government will just keep throwing tax-payers cash at it.

There are certain things which SHOULD be run on a State basis, but they should be managed/run by individuals with an understanding of the business, not by politicians who can't even count.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@jab1 

They do indeed stand and fall by their own abilities, but in many cases the government bankrolls and takes all the risks that brings whilst the company takes all the profit. There has to be a better way than the likes of PFI which has future generations tied into it's contract for years to come. And private prisons and private probation companies, whose daft idea was that! 

As for essential services such as transport, energy and water there is no question in my mind that they should be under state control.

People not profit, and no profit without owning the risk.

Here's a horrible thought. Private police and a private armed service.

Thomas A. Edison
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Hope I don't get told off for saying this 😐

My father always used to say "If the government could tax us for air and sex, they'd find a way".
Bit brutal,. but I do agree.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 6

@Alex wrote:

Hope I don't get told off for saying this 😐

My father always used to say "If the government could tax us for air and sex, they'd find a way".

Mr. Google tells me they do, although apparently the rate of VAT on condoms was cut to 5% around 2005.

REDUCTION OF VAT ON CONDOMS TO 5 PER CENT

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

"Here's a horrible thought. Private police and a private armed service"

Well well, it appears there are still such things as private Armies, not forgetting of course our own East Indian Company of days gone by. 

Gazprom 

Thomas A. Edison
jab1
Seasoned Hero

That is not in this country, though, is it, @Minivanman ? Although I seem to remember there is still such a thing existing in this country (Scottish bit) although it is purely ceremonial.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@jab1 

Well no, and I did not mean to imply it was or that such a thing was imminent, but it does pay to be cautious. 

Thomas A. Edison