Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Good NHS Experience

nadger
Rising Star

Another Good NHS Experience

Once again I have to hand it to the NHS  Smiley
Went into London, last Friday, for a series of pre-op assessment tests - meant getting up at 05.30 to make first appointment.
Managed to get through them quickly by going on to next department and saying that I was ahead of time and could they possibly see me early. Each one was helpful and was on was home before midday.
Phone rang this morning and could I come in Wednesday to have EVAR inserted on Thursday. As it's a top London teaching hospital ( one of only 3 in country that can do the op) I jumped at it - can only assume they'd had a cancellation.
I certainly couldn't have received any better treatment.
67 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Another Good NHS Experience

Great news nadger - hope it all goes well  Smiley
Not young enough to know everything
pierre_pierre
Grafter

appointment this morning, grotty legs 09:50, got there at 9:30 as knew I had to have Xrays,  three on knees, one each hip from side, one from top - 6. back with registrar at 9:57, seen and at appointment desk at 10:15 to make new appointment for 30 Jan 2012.
No trouble parking as most of hospital is locked down with Noro Virus
The wife got her remote diagnosis for heart pacer Sat Morning, so no more long trips to get the checks done 
nadger
Rising Star

That's good news about your wife's heart pacer  Smiley
Some parts of St Mary's, Paddington, are so old that they are still treating the black death  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

At least they have or ar rebuilding a lot of St Bartholomew (to give it is full name)
Wife had her op there, but recently transferred to Basildon for after care, She also had some checks at Royal Brompton.  Luckily she has perfect veins, was attacked by a Virus.
Who are you under Brompton or Hammersmith?
nadger
Rising Star

I'm under Imperial College NHS Trust which covers St Mary's, Hammersmith and Charing Cross Hospitals - was referred there from my local trust.
Problem with getting older is that they scan you for one thing and discover two other things.
Seems a strange thing to say but if I'd not had cancer they probably would never have found the problem with my aorta that made one a time bomb if not treated.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Well give the Op a chance before having a look at the Ham Palace, or whats left of it
nadger
Rising Star

I've been told that I'll be out at weekend so straight back to Euston and on way home.
Community Veteran

Good luck John with your op and best wishes for a speedy recovery Smiley
community
Grafter

would have made great script for Bob Newhart! Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you got the wrong thread?
randpwar
Grafter

I’m glad people have good experiences of the NHS to tell; I must say that I have nothing but good. I do occasionally read in the local press of patients at our local hospital saying they have had poor service but I often wonder if they’d been to the same hospital as me, or maybe how they had treated the staff themselves.
Our kids are 10 and 6 now but both have been to A&E for various ‘cuts and bumps’ that happen to children and of course the treatment was excellent. I had an Arthroscopy a couple of years ago and again, excellent, but a good test is when things are a bit more serious. About 4 years ago my then 6 year old boy contracted a semi-rare, semi-serious immune system problem called HSP (Henoch-Schönlein purpura) which resulted in him being hospitalized for weeks at a time over 6 months or so. When your child is suddenly, over the course of an afternoon, (Boxing Day actually) unable to walk because of pain, its obviously easy to get het up over things but all staff that we came in to contact with, from Consultant to junior nurse, were professional, informed, sensitive and caring. They made our son and us aware of possible developments and even agreed, against guidelines, to keep him at ‘our’ hospital rather than send him to a city one, as is the case with this illness, because we all felt more comfortable that way. I cannot fault the treatment that he received which I’m sure has helped him to a full and complete recovery, testament to which is the 7 mile hike across fields that he did with his Sea Scouts on Sunday!

nadger
Rising Star

Thanks for the good wishes - hope to be back on line at the weekend  Cool
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Oh well, tried out the new goody this morning, had a call at midday, could we go in to Basildon on Friday to have the device tweaked, so much for not having to do the journey, At least they were looking Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
I've been told that I'll be out at weekend so straight back to Euston and on way home.

It's amazing what they can do these days in such a short stay. 2 years ago I spent a long time at Papworth as I had a friend in there.  It's a world centre of excellence and attracts many doctors from around the world for training and also trained some of the staff now working at the Essex Cardiothoracic Unit in Basildon. I was extremely impressed with the dedication of staff.  It was a very labour intensive set-up.  The intensive care unit had 26 beds and always had a staff of at least 50 nurses and there seemed to be at least a dozen doctors around the unit.