Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Freeview Channels retune coming... Wednesday 3rd September 2014

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Another Freeview Channels retune coming... Wednesday 3rd September 2014

The Freeview TV Guide will be updated and expanded on Wednesday 3rd September 2014 to create extra capacity for new General Entertainment services.
As a result, Children's and News channels will move to new numbers.
* The Children's genre will move from LCN 70 to start at LCN 120
* The News genre will move from LCN 80 to start at LCN 130
Viewers who don't retune will not lose channels—services will remain accessible at their old numbers.
However, Freeview recommend people retune from time-to-time to ensure they have access to all available services in their area.

35 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Another Freeview Channels retune coming... Wednesday 3rd September 2014

I have an idea. What about removing all the ' Adult ' channels and shopping channels. And what about adding BBC1+1? Crazy
TORPC
Grafter

+1 @M Steve's idea
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

+1 channels are a complete waste of bandwidth (thats what PVRs and OD are for) and whether you aree with them or not, shopping and adult channels have as much right to be on the epg as any other, having paid their dues to be there
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: DaveyH
+1 channels are a complete waste of bandwidth
OK then +24
Community Veteran

Do those of us on Freeview Lite get these new channels?  Angry
I really need to get my dish realigned for Freesat so I can stop being grumpy about such things!  Grin
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran

+1 channels are a complete waste of bandwidth (thats what PVRs and OD are for)

Really? - No doubt because you have the said devices and feel that because it does not affect you, stuff everyone else who does not have them!
We happen not to have any recording devices and so we find the +1 services very useful and certainly not a waste.
As for the retune... oh great.. yet another one  Angry
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
DaveyH
Pro

Quote from: 7up

Really? - No doubt because you have the said devices and feel that because it does not affect you, stuff everyone else who does not have them!

Yes, really. Go look at the barb viewing figures for the +1s, they're a fraction of the main channels.
DTT has limited bandwidth, why waste it on channels virtually no one uses?
I have PVRs, I don't use them. Our TV viewing is pretty much exclusively on demand now,
We happen not to have any recording devices and so we find the +1 services very useful and certainly not a waste.

You have broadband and PC or some other device with access to the net presumably, given you're posting here?
Fitting in TV viewing around a broadcasters schedule is utterly unnecessary these days.
TORPC
Grafter

+1 channels are a complete waste of bandwidth (thats what PVRs and OD are for) and whether you aree with them or not, shopping and adult channels have as much right to be on the epg as any other, having paid their dues to be there

What about less fortunate people that can not afford to purchase a PVR etc, are you willing to donate one to every household that would need them / if they were to follow your post ?Huh
+1 Channels are handy especially when one has a family or a busy lifestyle
Ok maybe the shopping channels, but the Adult channels should most definitely be banned, or @ the very least locked in the factory, that you would have to phone & verify your over 18 to unlock, like Vodafone still or used to do to their handsets, or maybe you would disagree as you may not have children running around your estate.
DaveyH
Pro

Quote from: TORPC

What about less fortunate people that can not afford to purchase a PVR etc, are you willing to donate one to every household that would need them / if they were to follow your post ?
+1 Channels are handy especially when one has a family or a busy lifestyle

See my post above.
Ok maybe the shopping channels, but the Adult channels should most definitely be banned, or @ the very least locked in the factory, that you would have to phone & verify your over 18 to unlock, like Vodafone still or used to do to their handsets, or maybe you would disagree as you may not have children running around your estate.

Why should they be banned? To let lazy or poor parents off the hook?
As a parent its just  part of my job to control the 'media' they're exposed to I don't expect, or trust governments, ISPs, manufacturers or whoever to do my job for me.
The 'adult' channels can be completely  hidden or removed from view and be pin/password protected  if you don't want to do that.
If children are being exposed to it then that down to their parents fault..
itsme
Grafter

Can PVR detect that you dozed off and automatically start recording the program your watching? If not +1 is very useful Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Many PVRs will buffer at least an hour of the channel being watched live,  so if you dozed off for less than an hour, then you should be able to rewind back through the buffer, and resume watching from where you fell asleep.
Tongue
TORPC
Grafter

<snip>
See my post above.
<snip>

I already did, Hence my responce

Why should the be banned? To let lazy or poor parents off the job?
As a parent its just  part of my job to control the  'media' they're exposed to. I don't expect, or trust governments, ISPs, manufacturers or whoever to do it for me.
The 'adult' channels can be completely  hidden or removed from view and be pin/password protected  if you don't want to do that. So if children are being exposed to it then its their parents fault..

Ok put yourself in a noobs shoes to freeview
you purchase & install the box,, then you start going through the channels, one or more of your children requires your assistance, after sorting out your children, you go back in to finish going through the channels & you other child has located the remote & innocently clicks on & is watching an adult channel, all before you had chance to lock that channel.
Not good is it
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

A PVR can only record one or two channels at time. Having +1 channels allows one options when programmes to be recorded clash.
I have on rare occasions found +1 useful when I have come across a programme that I didn't know was going to be on (and thus record) that has already started.
One thing is certain, if we didn't have the +1 channels we wouldn't get lots of high quality programming instead. It would just mean more dross.
I wish that the EPG could exclude the channels that cannot be received because the equipment  is not internet capable. My TV wants to retune at least a couple of times a month to add a new channel that the equipment is not capable of receiving.
DaveyH
Pro

Quote from: alanf
A PVR can only record one or two channels at time

Rather depends on the PVR.
Most these days will allow you to record two channels from the same MUX/transponder whilst watching any other, some of more advanced hobbyist/enthusiast boxes will allow you to record/watch multiple streams on each tuner.