cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another..Does anyone remember............

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Another..Does anyone remember............

Another does anyone remember for those of you with a good memory ( or active imagination).
back in the 70's or early 80's, I seem to to recall on a tv program (possibly tommorrows world), talk of supplying telephone through the electricty cables.
The idea being that every house has electricity cables to it, and it would be  readily accessible.
Further to this, can anyone tell me if using electricity cables would be viable for providing internet? Undecided
12 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Another..Does anyone remember............

Thats what the Homeplugs do, use the Electric cable to get the signal from one room to another
Fixes: 47

It does have an added complication of houses being on different phases but an interesting thought.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Do they work through isolating transformers?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Energis carried phone calls via fibre optic cables strung from National Grid pylons. Is that perhaps what you were thinking of?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energis
The idea of broadcasting via wires (including power cables) was being talked about in 1939!
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1939/jun/16/post-office
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and dont forget the old telegraph, worked over cables a long distance
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes indeedy.... there was talk of using the mains cables for all sorts of transmissions.... however, there were some problems  I think with Co-interference, that the system has been quietly dropped.... (I hope). Undecided
oldgeezer
Grafter

There was a system of switching street lighting on and off by superimposing a signal on the distribution system.
This was extensively used in the 50's & 60's. It involved installing equipment in the sub-stations to inject a signal in the audio range on to the mains. Each street light standard was fitted with a tuned-reed relay which responded to the signal and switched the lamps on & off.
With the advent of cheap lamp mounted photo-cell switches this system was phased out. Another simpler system in use was to include a fifth street-lighting core in the distribution cables and switch the lights on in banks from a time-switch/contactor in the sub-station.
Fixes: 47

What technology were/are energy companies planning to use to remotely read household meters?
Edit: There is quite a piece about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_meter_reading
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
alanf
Aspiring Pro

As an alternative to Economy 7,  SEEBOARD used to offer the Warmwise tariff. To the best of my recollection it consisted of three different rates - heating, peak and overnight. Peak rate was higher than the basic tariff, overnight was cheaper than basic tariff but not as cheap as Economy 7 and heating was cheapest but only applied to devices on an automatically switched circuit. Heating periods occurred within a range of times but the precise periods were determined day-to-day by the supplier. The supplier turned ones storage heating circuit on and off at times of its choosing. I assumed that this was done with a signal along the wires but I suppose that it could have been done by a radio signal.
oldgeezer
Grafter

Here in South Yorkshire the local water company seem to be using the "handheld" technology mentioned.
A few weeks ago a guy from YW came and fastened a little unit to the front of our water meter. This unit, which has a long-life battery. can be interrogated from outside the home by the meter-reading-chappy walking down the drive with a hand-held unit which wakes up the unit and causes it to send the reading.
A relative living in Severn Trent land has a wire leading from his internal water meter to a transponder unit fastened outside by the front porch.
prichardson
Grafter

There have been a number of investigative projects into such systems. I seem to remember the most recent being in southern Scotland.
More geared towards internet access, but the idea was to deliver broadband to the local sub-station where they would act as a sort of mini exchange. From there it would be attached the the relevant phase for the property it was being delivered to, multiplexed of course to allow delivery to multiple properties.
Not sure it went anything further than that.
Community Veteran

I think the OP was thinking about Broadband Over Powerlines (warning, wikipedia link).
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)