cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Cyclist Dies

Community Veteran

Another Cyclist Dies

Another cyclist has been killed on the streets of London making the 7thj so far this year.
Cyclist Death
Something has to be done to deal with the problem but what? 
65 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Another Cyclist Dies

I'd pass no judgement until I knew the circumstances of the accident.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I can think of a couple of things but the cyclists wouldn't like them.
Like compulsory insurance & training
Community Veteran

I'm with you on that HB. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Helmets should be compulsory - like seat belts in cars with a hefty fine for non-compliance
Community Veteran

When you think way back on roads size mattered. Pedestrians and cyclists watched out for anything bigger than themselves, everything. Cars watched out for lorries. Things naturally had priorities. The biggest being you watched out for yourselves.
Sadly nowadays in the age of injurylawyers4u and the like many seem to think it's someone else's responsibilities to watch out for them.
Green Cross Man, Tufty the Squirrel, Tales of the Road, all need bringing back.
Nothing much old for bikes but they need a more modern ad showing a cyclist going through a red light then getting run over. Or perhaps one highlighting the consequences of ignoring a pedestrian crossing and knocking down a pensioner.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
Nothing much old for bikes but they need a more modern ad showing a cyclist going through a red light

That's exactly what happened to me yesterday. I was stopped at red lights and a cyclist came up on the inside, didn't stop and went straight over the light.  He was lucky there was no traffic at the intersection.
Community Veteran

The problem is they don't care, they have gotten used to doing it without being hurt so keep doing it.
Unless the police start fining them they will keep on doing it, and don't forget if you get hit by them, it is always YOUR fault  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It is proposed to charge heavily for trucks entering the London area that are not fitted with an array of sensors and safety equipment. Forgive me stating the obvious, but what difference will that make, the vehicles will still be there safety kit or not. As a driver of large vehicles (who doesn't drive in the capital) there comes a point in any manoeuvre when the driver must watch where he/she is going and not monitoring all kinds of bells and whistles. And anyway are all these distractions to driving something that other safety measures (phones etc.) are designed to be eliminated.
Sorry, its high-time cyclists took the responsibility for their actions, rather than expecting coach and HGV drivers to be able to monitor sensors, CCTV, mirrors and other kit at the same time as having the ability to see in six directions at once and just driving the vehicle at the same time. Even out in the sticks where I mostly drive hardly a day goes past when some idiot on a bike does something stupid in front of or alongside my coach. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I read about the devices that they want to fit to trucks.  Once again it is the driver that seems to have to bear the responsibility without any recourse to the cyclist. I wonder how this will be enforced with trucks coming in from the continent Undecided
Community Veteran

Its the usual government a**e about tit knee jerk reaction. Rather than get the wrong doers to fix it they put the blame on the motorist, easy target and they already have instruments in place to enforce the UK side (MOT's).
It's a bit like getting prosecuted for hitting someone who breaks into YOUR home, the law is all wrong. They need to get the cyclists into a conforming state rather than blame the motorist or pedestrian who gets damaged/hurt.
Crazy Crazy Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Indeed it does seem wrong that the motorist takes the blame for everything. Thats been the way in this country for centuries though; This country picks on those in the weakest position and always has ever since I can remember as it's easier to blame someone else who can't defend themselves rather than fix it / tackle the real issue.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The reason most of these stupid cyclist are killed by HGV is because they have no understanding of how they operate.
For example. for a left turn, an artic needs to move out to the right to give them room to make the left turn. The stupid cyclist will try to pass on the left and are surprised when the last thing they will ever see is a set of super single tyres about to squash them.
So instead of  persecuting professional HGV drivers the emphasis should be to control and train the cyclists and legislate to make them have insurance.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Hairy

The problem is they don't care, they have gotten used to doing it without being hurt so keep doing it.

Just like motor cyclists.  Lips are sealed
Fixes: 47

Cyclists shouldn't be allowed to use a mobile phone while moving....I've seen it twice recently, one had a hand on the handlebars but the other was hands free.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation