cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying corporate thinking that does not enhance customer experience...

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Re: Annoying corporate thinking that does not enhance customer experience...

@Champnet wrote:

.....have you looked into syncing contacts to Google email account then syncing to PC ?

I value my privacy far more than Googles profits.

I believe there could be money in a company setting up not exploiting their every ounce of customers data at every opportunity. Imagine going into a shop and they demand you register and fit you with a tracking device to see where you go not in just their shop but other shops and monitor you at home.   

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

The logs will also tell them where you came from......

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Well the saga continues...on checking the balance today it was shown as a big fat zero....where had the unused amount gone?

The last activity was in November when a healthy sum of my money was still remaining to be used.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 7

Its not confined to O2. I had the same discussion yesterday with EE about my wife's rarely used PAYG account. The phone didn't work, and the balance of £18 had gone.

A "discussion" got it back, but I was reminded that she needs to make a call, or send a text every 3 months to stop this happening.

I appreciate that it does cost the firm something to maintain unused accounts, but would prefer a system where they charged for (say) a 1 minute call if the phone wasn't used for the three months.

Does anyone know of a SIM deal where credit never expires/disappears?

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Sometimes PAYG isn't as good as some would have you believe. Having had a few problems with PAYG (funny enough with O2) I went over to Three initially (who were fine) but unfortunately the signal at home was nigh on non-existent. They agreed to let me go (without charge etc).

So I ended up at my present phone company. who piggy back off of Vodafone. Haven't moved since as my package each month is getting better each upgrade. I currently pay £7.50 a month and it's been like that for the last 2 years. 3000 min talk / 5000 txt and 4Gb data a month. Admittedly I buy my phones sim free but it's still running fine 2 years on and does everything I need. Most telco's have somewhere in the T&C's that if the balance isn't used within X months / days, it goes down the drain. It's one reason I ended up going monthly. I know exactly were I stand and, if push comes to shove, I can use the data to also make phone calls, send messages, via Viber at far cheaper rates that any Telco charges, even to the other side of the world.

Yes, as suggested by @wisty such a system of using minutes would be lovely; unfortunately it doesn't get over phones (numbers) simply not in current usage. For instance, the country where I used to live has a population of less that 90 million, there are around 145 million sims issued. I had 3 sims in 22 months, simply because I got a better deal getting a new sim! They have recently decided to re-register ALL sims. Any not registered by date X, go into the number to be recycled bin. Essentially use it or lose it. They reckon they will reclaim about 50 million phone numbers.

But unless @christmas has a reason to stay with O2 (still buying phone etc), maybe time to look at other options and companies. Switching telco is very easy to and you keep the phone number in most cases.  

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

See also similar experience with EE this last week...

https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/Orange-EE-moving-on/m-p/1603440

@Anonymous 

I called my old faithful Virgin (20? years), not only was the call answered within 2 rings, but the knowledgable CS agent, after paying £10 top up, supplied me with a new Virgin number, which I can PAC my Orange number across to in a couple of day when the Virgin SIM arrives, but it is also PAYG with no depreciation balance if not used every month, one call every 365 days is all that is required.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 49

@wisty Three payg doesn't expire.
I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Fixes: 353

I missed this topic last year;

An excellent program for syncing files, calls, messages, contacts and more with a PC is MyPhoneExplorer.It works with android & Sony phones connected by USB, WiFi or Bluetooth.

A small app is required to be installed on the phone but no setup is required there just a little on the PC.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@Mav wrote:

An excellent program for syncing files, calls, messages, contacts and more with a PC is MyPhoneExplorer.It works with android & Sony phones connected by USB, WiFi or Bluetooth.

Thank you for the advice.

What put me off the Samsung app was they feel they have the right to poke around my phone & computer for my personal data and do what they like with it. I think there could be an opening for 'ethical' companies to provide services without exploiting our personal data.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@idonno wrote:

But unless @christmas has a reason to stay with O2 (still buying phone etc), maybe time to look at other options and companies. Switching telco is very easy to and you keep the phone number in most cases.  

I only mention o2 because it's my provider, it seems the arrogant attitude is the norm across the industry and I would want my money back before transferring.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

I do have to bite my tongue when Customers Services say it's the system is some fat cat executive hasn't decided the system will operate in such a way.

Disconnecting phones within months does look like a money grabbing exercise, and it must cost the companies money having to reconnect customers...it took me 20 minutes with a customer services agent.

The companies will swamp customers with texts offering deals & packages, why not remind customers first when their 3 or 6 months is about to run out?

Better still, ask customers if they wish to remain connected, if there is no response after 1-2 years then fine disconnect.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Update: Since November the balance has magically gone to £0.00 without me making a call and much of the time the phone switched off.

On phoning o2 they informed me I had drained my account accessing Mobile Data....I was shocked as I've no recollection of connecting to the internet...but the operative claimed the phone had used a wifi system, anyway she refunded the money again but said now I know about the mobile data use this would be the last time it would be refunded.

Before she could give me details of who I should contact to found out what data I allegedly the line went dead from her end.

Thinking after the call I realised the phone could not access our home wifi as it has been changed along with the password and the phone was never connected to the old wifi.....so where was the phone picking up an internet connection from? 

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 92

but the operative claimed the phone had used a wifi system,

When the phone is using a Wifi connection there are no mobile data charges!.

Thinking after the call I realised the phone could not access our home wifi as it has been changed along with the password and the phone was never connected to the old wifi.....so where was the phone picking up an internet connection

and there's your problem. The phone is trying to get an internet connection, perhaps for updates or email etc. It cannot connect to your Wifi and therefore reverts to a mobile data connection. If you don't want that to happen you need to disable mobile data on the phone.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@MisterW wrote:

When the phone is using a Wifi connection there are no mobile data charges!.

....and there's your problem. The phone is trying to get an internet connection, perhaps for updates or email etc....... If you don't want that to happen you need to disable mobile data on the phone.

Agree I found it strange there would be a wifi charge....

On my phone "Use Packet Data" is the alternative name for mobile data....I've switched that off and switched the wifi back on. So far no attempts by o2 to put their hands in my wallet.

We seem to moving to a World where commercial companies feel entitled to walk all over our privacy and help themselves to our money.