cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying corporate thinking that does not enhance customer experience...

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Annoying corporate thinking that does not enhance customer experience...

Have an o2 Pay As You Go sim card, which o2 decided unilaterally to disconnect from the system because I had not used for sometime, although I had kept the phone topped up.

I phoned o2 today to have it reconnected, what a palaver it took 20 minutes, what annoys me o2 did not ask me first if it was OK to disconnect the card and not able to tell me where balance had gone.

Initially I was told the card would be reconnected but I'd have to make a top up payment and make a chargeable call within the next 24 hours, when I pointed there should be abundance of unused top up money already available and queried why I needed to make a chargeable call....the requirement for the call was dropped.

On further complaint about having to top up further, that requirement was also dropped and the operative would credit my account....pardon, where had the previous balance gone, the operative was unable to say.

My understanding is the phone number would have been 'recycled' and o2 would have held onto the balance of the money for itself.

Why do these companies take such action and feel they can get away with it, why not ask the customers permission first?

25 REPLIES
Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

Re: Annoying corporate thinking that does not enhance customer experience...

The answer can probably be found in their (very) small print.

Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

It's not unusual. I was aware of this many years ago. I believe it was also a topic on 'Rip Off Britain' within the last couple of weeks.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@Jonpe wrote:

The answer can probably be found in their (very) small print.

Probably written with invisible ink.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@Mayfly wrote:

It's not unusual. ........... I believe it was also a topic on 'Rip Off Britain' within the last couple of weeks.

Good impression of Tom Jones.

I'm not surprised if on was on 'Rip Off Britain', how dare I pay for a service and not use it.

It's clear o2 had no intention of refunding my money which is provided up front, it's a nice little rip if people don't complain, 10,000 customers with £10 on their balance equals a cool £100,000 for o2.

Imagine buying a book and because you haven't read it for 6 months the bookseller or publisher removes it from the home.

Recently I wanted to transfer contacts from a mobile phone to a PC, but you can't do it with a USB cable you have to download an app but it does not come free...the phone provider feels they have the right to monitor all your phone data and pass it or more likely sell it to whoever they like.

The moblie phone has been reconnected but I'm still waiting for the credit of the balance that o2 took for themselves.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 3

O2's MVNO resellers, Tesco Mobile in my case, were also perfectly happy to continue that practice with their PAYG scheme, although I did manage to get my unused credit down to less than a fiver before taking out a Plusnet SIM only contract.

It did rankle a bit, even though it was indeed in the small print. I guess the companies involved would say that you don't expect unused contractual minutes, texts and data to roll over from one month to the next, so why should you expect PAYG to be any different when you end your association with them?

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@JayG wrote:

I guess the companies involved would say that you don't expect unused contractual minutes, texts and data to roll over from one month to the next, so why should you expect PAYG to be any different when you end your association with them?

But I didn't end my association with o2 they disconnected me from the system without warning and took a wodge of my money, I've had long periods before of not using the phone and have never been disconnected...it's not as if there was no money in the account.

It's Pay as you Go, not Pay and you get disconnected.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 3

It's 'Pay as you Go unless you haven't read the small print in which case we've gotcha!'

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@christmas wrote:

Recently I wanted to transfer contacts from a mobile phone to a PC, but you can't do it with a USB cable you have to download an app but it does not come free...the phone provider feels they have the right to monitor all your phone data and pass it or more likely sell it to whoever they like.

@christmas

I don't claim to be a mobile phone expert (and I'm only referring to Android devices as I know zilch about iPhones), but I've found that in similar circumstances during the past couple of years or so when trying to transfer contacts, you don't actually need to use an app or a cloud service.

If you can find the '.vcf' file on the phone in which your contacts are stored you can either copy/paste using the USB connection to a PC, or if that's not possible for some reason, simply email the file (possibly called 'Contacts.vcf') to yourself as an attachment.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

@RobPN wrote: 

@christmas

If you can find the '.vcf' file on the phone in which your contacts are stored you can either copy/paste using the USB connection to a PC, or if that's not possible for some reason, simply email the file (possibly called 'Contacts.vcf') to yourself as an attachment.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I've been unable to find a contacts file on the phone.

----------------

To others regarding Terms & Conditions, at no point did the operative mention usage was a condition of terms & conditions also she did not say she was making an exception by reinstating the unused balance.

Which makes me believe o2 know what they are doing is wrong and cannot be justified in court.

Strange how these very large corporations can take money with a click of a button, but take 30 mins to agree to reconnect a phone and still after 3 days have not credited my account.  

Mayfly
Pro

Not sure what phone you have but on mine I can click the 3 dots in 'contacts' and then share, I can then choose to email the attachment to myself.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

No flies on you. Cheesy

It's a Samsung GT-S5830i....

I've discovered more corporate nonsense this time it's.....BT...update, with pictures later.

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Mayfly wrote:

Not sure what phone you have but on mine I can click the 3 dots in 'contacts' and then share, I can then choose to email the attachment to myself.

Useful advice.  Thumbs Up

I just checked the very old Android device which I had to transfer my contacts from to see if there was a similar option that I'd missed, but it seems not, so my file-hunting in that particular case was not unwarranted.  The app which I'd been hoping to use at the time for the transfer was not compatible with its ancient version of Android.

The other device I had to transfer contacts from for someone else has long gone so can't check, but probably also didn't have the option.

Champnet
Pro

Don't have an Android phone but have you looked into syncing contacts to Google email account then syncing to PC ?

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Meanwhile at o2 it took 16 minutes this moning to get through to a human, to query where my money was, with a click of a button the refund happened.

Were they hoping out of frustration I would have topped up the card over the weekend or that I would not call back and demand my money be re-instated?

Although the operative rejected the thought that customers demanded to be reconnected she did had customers all time asking to be reconnected....would it not make sense not to disconnect those customers in the first place.

In corporate speak I was told it was the, "responsibility of customers to manage their accounts and ensure they make a chargeable call every six months", it's a pay as you go facility. When I pointed out in previous years I had not used the phone for up to a year without being disconnected, the disconnect period suddenly became 6-12 months.

It's claimed the balance on a disconnected phone it paid to charity, I believe Eton college is a registered charity, I dread the thought of funding another Boris Johnson. Crazy