cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Andy Williams passes on

Fixes: 104

Andy Williams passes on

Just thought it was my turn to announce one...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19729630
Will Moderate For Thanks
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Andy Williams passes on

He was just to good to be true...(meant in the nicest possible way)
Rest in peace Andy.
I wonder how many couples got together listening or dancing to his music and songs.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 124

One of my favourite songs is Music To Watch Girls Go By.
I found Andy Williams similar to Val Donican with that laid back easy to listen to style.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Without detracting from the essence of the thread too much, there were a number of "laid-back" style singers around  at much the same time; Perry Como and Michael Holiday to name two, however Michael Holiday was apparently not so relaxed in real life with many demons to deal with. And of course the grand daddy of them all was Bing Crosby.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

My parents loved watching him on TV.
nadger
Rising Star

Moon River always reminds us of going fishing on the Moon River in Bala, Ontario  Smiley
His cause of death ( bladder cancer) makes me realize how lucky I've been since being diagnosed 4 years ago.
Community Veteran

At the time it was common for UK artists to cover recordings from US singers.  Wasn't Moonriver covered by a singer with a similar name.  I seem to remember he had a hit with it.
Community Veteran

Didn't Nat King Cole record it? maybe it was an album track rather than a single.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

'Twas Danny Williams, No.1 in Nov '61.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

That's the one thank you 4C.  Petlew is also right, Nat King Cole did record it - his style of music Smiley
Community Veteran

Interestingly Andy Williams never recorded Moonriver as a single.  it was written for Breakfast at Tiffany's and recorded by Audrey Hepburn.  She never sang it in the movie, it being used only in orchestral form. Her vocal was not released until after her death.
Community Veteran

Some interesting facts about Moonriver from this morning's Tampa Bay Times.
'Moon River' trivia
Moon River may have been the unofficial theme song of the late Andy Williams and all his endeavors — even though his version was never released as a single — but the song has a life of its own. Here are five pieces of trivia, according to songfacts.com, that you may not have known:
• Henry Mancini wrote Moon River with lyricist Johnny Mercer, though the original title was "Blue River." Mercer changed it when he discovered another songwriter was using that title.
• Moon River is a real river in Savannah, Ga., where Mercer grew up. His home overlooked the river, known as the Back River, but was renamed Moon River in honor of the song.
• The line "My huckleberry friend" is often thought to be a reference to Huckleberry Finn from Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer. However, in his autobiography, Johnny Mercer said it was in reference to a childhood friend. He used to pick huckleberries with him down by the river.
• Mancini wrote the tune within Audrey Hepburn's vocal range so she could sing it for 1961's Breakfast at Tiffany's. However, the movie's soundtrack only has an instrumental version by Mancini's orchestra. Hepburn's version was not released until after her death in 1993; it's on the album Music From The Films of Audrey Hepburn.
• In the decades since it was written, Moon River has been recorded by more than 100 artists, including Paul Anka, Aretha Franklin, Sarah Brightman, R.E.M. and Elton John, who once appeared as a guest on The Andy Williams Show.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
She never sang it in the movie.

I thought she did, towards the end, sitting on the fire escape strumming a guitar. Embarrassed
(Agree her voice was dubbed in MFL)
Community Veteran

If you're a fan of Andy Williams, maybe best not read the article about him in today's Daily Mail.

Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
I thought she did, towards the end, sitting on the fire escape strumming a guitar. Embarrassed

That was my recollection too but I'm only repeating information that appeared in this morning's paper as part of his obituary. I remember her strumming the guitar but can't remember if she was singing in the movie. Undecided