Fixes: 11

Andy Baker steps down as Plusnet prepare move into BT Consumer Division

41 REPLIES 41
8BKA
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Andy Baker steps down as Plusnet prepare move into BT Consumer Division

It was mentioned yesterday

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Plusnet-being-subsumed-back-into-BT/m-p/1686944

But with no link to get the full story I found this 

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/plusnet-boss-steps-down-in-shake-up-1-10091454

It will mean just another round of price increases to fund BT

Brian A

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 94

Wow! If the Yorksire Post article is correct Plusnet made £186m gross profit on a turnover of £410m.

No wonder they need to inrease prices!!!!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

So is it good news, bad news, or 'whatever' and why does "no office closures are proposed" worry me?

Community Veteran

If it came down to customer savings instead of lining the pockets of some middlemen maybe it would make sense for BT just to get rid of plusnet and simply have a BT budget division instead.

The thing that surprised me most about that article is that Baker is a real person. Going by the plusnet staff on the forum I expected Lord Goron and his minions.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Have to agree, and far to many middlemen around these days for my liking all selling the same product dressed up as something for nothing... but at a price. 

Still, maybe there really are people who think that Asda, Tesco and Waitrose to name just three all have their very  own baked bean factories.

Same product, just different labels more often than not.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Brand names do have a measurable value....

Community Veteran

"We have got to find a way to deliver a better model"

Interesting statement, I suspect the increase in customers has not matched a increase in staff hence a number of issues  that should have been resolved some time ago are still raising complaints from customers.

I feel sorry for staff employed by PN as they may well be offered alternative work but will it be at the same location ?

TUPE......yes we know all about that.....current wages and conditions protected, new staff on different contracts but will those on TUPE continue to get annual wage rises or will they be frozen until new employees wages catch up ?

Hope the staff are in a good union.

Times like these you need one.

Community Veteran

@Champnet wrote:

Brand names do have a measurable value

Yes they do but...............

Go back a few years on ebay. Some not too honest sellers would sell cheap tat but just for a penny and rack up some great feedback. Then they would get some more expensive products at a good price but nothing would arrive. They kept your money all the buyer got was broken promises.

Plenty of companies like that. The "good" name they have has little to do with their current operations and selling practices.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Crooks in business, what a surprise....

TeeGee
Aspiring Pro

I doubt very much that this is good news for either customers or staff.

On the one hand prices will go up on the grounds that BT is a superior quality brand and if the call centre gets transferred to a far off overseas land where they have English names and foreign accents they will lose a lot of customers.

Most PN customers (IMHO) seem to want a good solid connection thatat works at a reasonable price.  I doubt that many want entertainment for a few pounds extra that they seldom use. Sky is tempting as I already get a lot of freebies for a very basic TV service at a very low price. Changing email is not a problem with domain names either. I really to not want the energy/insurance merry-go-round of regular changes but it may come to that.

In short, this could be a good time to lock into a 18 month contract at today's prices.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 29

@TeeGee wrote:

I doubt very much that this is good news for either customers or staff.

Most PN customers (IMHO) seem to want a good solid connection thatat works at a reasonable price.  I doubt that many want entertainment for a few pounds extra that they seldom use.

100% agree.... I don`t have, want, or need, to get my tv down the phone line.... I get it FREE over the air... so why should I pay for it ?  I don`t watch fillums... or play on line games..  or skype , or facebook , or any of those things.. so I DO NOT WANT all the bells and whistles, that MAY come with BT taking over PN.

Let`s hope there is still a "budget" version if they do take over...

Let`s hope the customer service remains in the UK... ( didn`t BT decide they were bringing it back to the UK a few years ago from Bangladesh, or wherever it was run from ? ?  )

Anyway... even if it did get "out sourced" .. with my current set up... I (probably) won`t need to contact them on the voice phone...but may need to on the "live chat" if that is still going to be available...

My connection has been rock solid for a few years now, so the need for "customer service" has been negligble.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Free over the air, are you sure about that. 😉

Community Veteran
Fixes: 29

@Minivanman  Yes. !   and .... its even more free now. ....

.cos I`m over 75 and got the free licence.

.. ( and refunded the "overpaymen" from last year`s advance payment )  ( three guffawing chinamen emoticons )

Highlighted
DaveyH
Aspiring Champion

At least BT (and EEs) billing systems work, there's never a long wait via phone or live chat IME, and they won't diddle you out of cashback offers!

That's more than can be currently said of Plusnet...