cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android messaging.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Android messaging.

Just upgraded my phone. Got an honor 7. Great phone and spec but for some reason something strange is going on with my messaging (and emails, but that's a different issue that I will post separately to avoid confusing the two).
When I send or receive a text message I get a gold box with the message.   # (w)  .
Unfortunately, because it's not a mainstream phone there seem to be no forums or search results for help with this issue. It's not really creating problems, that I know of, but 'untidy' and vexing to my unreasonably (the wife's expression) enquiring mind. Also,I an concerned I have inadvertently 'played' with a setting and need to restore it.
I'm running Android 5.0.2.
Anyone else come across this?
17 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Android messaging.

what happens if you use a different SMS client?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

jesus that's a fugly messaging app.
try the stock android messagin app (called Messenger), and see if the problem goes away.
Community Veteran

@Dvorak... errr, what do you means different sms client? Sorry, somewhat confused here.
@Chenks76... It is ugly, but without those  #(w)  it would be acceptable. It's the clutter that does my head in. I thought messenger was a Facebook thing?

There are a number of SMS apps you can use, I use one called 'Simply Text' as chenks mentioned the default google one is called 'messenger'
you can install them and see if they produce the same result and remove them if so or keep them if you're happy.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

I was having a few issues (Although not quite like this) with the stock android messenger app when I got my Oneplus Two, Google Hangouts was suggested on a few different forums as an alternative and that seems to work fine.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team

except google are now trying to push you back off hangouts for SMS, wish they'd make their minds up!!
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: doris
@Chenks76... It is ugly, but without those  #(w)  it would be acceptable. It's the clutter that does my head in. I thought messenger was a Facebook thing?

Facebook has an app called "Messenger"
Google also has an app called "Messenger" which is the stock Android SMS app.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

On my Android Phone (running Android 5.1) the SMS app is called 'Messages', not 'Messenger' which is the Facebook messaging app.
If you go into Settings, in the section 'Wireless and networks', is there an entry for 'Default SMS app'? (note, I have to select '...More' at the bottom of the 'Wireless and networks' section to see it)  If you find this, does it give you a choice of apps (and, most importantly, is 'Messages' 'Messenger' selectable on the list)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

On my phone (Galaxy S5), the stock SMS thing is called "Messages", the only app titled "Messenger" I have is Yahoo Messenger, which I rarely use anyway...
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

This is the Google SMS app (messenger) , download it from the Play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging.
After you have downloaded it, open it and then the app will ask if you wish to make it the default SMS app. Click yes if you do, otherwise it will just show you all the current SMS messages and you can see if the messages look correct or if that "w#" thing is actually in all the SMS messages you have received
Community Veteran

Quote from: w23
On my Android Phone (running Android 5.1) the SMS app is called 'Messages', not 'Messenger' which is the Facebook messaging app.

as i said......
the STOCK android SMS app is called "Messenger", and is made by Google - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging
i've already said there is also a app from Facebook called "Messenger"
your "Messages" app is NOT the stock android app.
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
your "Messages" app is NOT the stock android app.
I always thought I was running something close to Stock Android but it appears you're correct that the default SMS app on my phone is not a Google standard one, I've now installed Google Messenger and made it my default SMS app, thanks.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I use truemessenger, to get rid of the spam sms's. But yes the stock one on mine is called messenger. (I also use truecaller to block spam calls)
Community Veteran

Thanks all, downloaded a new client. Nice and clean,seems pretty good so far. Called 'Mailwise'.  Smiley