Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android apps / Java

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Android apps / Java

Hey gang..
I'm thinking of a new phone. My old Samsung as reliable as it is, is very basic and frankly I'm bored with it.
I've been thinking of a smart phone to try and cheer myself up a bit. Naturally me being a gadget freak I would prefer two sims slots but I don't think the phones in most phone shops offer that so I took to ebay and found this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unlocked-5-0-Touch-Screen-Andriod-4-2-Dual-SIM-3G-Smartphone-Mobile-Phone-...
Now it states that it doesn't do java. Now I thought most apps were made using java but this phone runs android which I'd assume would support / run anything designed for android? Is java a big issue? - I'm a gadget freak so naturally want the phone to support as much as possible app wise..
Thanks for the info..
7up
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
6 REPLIES
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Re: Android apps / Java

Not sure. I've got a few Android devices and none of them have Java support. I tend not to install Java runtime on Windows machines either due to the number of vulnerabilities. It affects a few websites, but over-all I can't say I miss it.
Fixes: 104

Android doesn't support running Java class files as it doesn't have a JDK, you writing apps in Java and getting them compiled into APK's to run on your phone is different.
With the phone you've posted I'd be concerned that it only has 512MB RAM, if you can afford it look at something like the Moto G http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moto-8GB-Sim-Free-Smartphone/dp/B00ECBREK2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392714137...
Will Moderate For Thanks
WTF
Grafter

You need to be a bit careful buying Chinese clones (which is what that phone appears to be) as quite apart from many of the phones simply not working properly, the manufacturers have rarely signed up to Google's T&Cs and Google recently announced that phones from manufacturers that aren't signed up are now barred from the Play Store.
That makes getting apps (a primary reason for having a smart phone) a bit tricky.  You can still get them from 3rd party stores however those stores tend to be riddled with hacked, malware-infected versions of apps and consequently, are generally best avoided.
A better bet might be to go for something second hand from a reputable manufacturer.  It's likely to be a far less frustrating experience.
aldabbagh
Grafter

You Should get the Nexus 5, my son has it. £299 for 16 from Google store. The Phone is good.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Note, the OP stated a preference for two sims, the Moto G is manufactured with a dual sim version (not readily available in UK but not impossible to get one).
I use an Acer Liquid E2 duo (ordered mine from Amazon France), I previously had a Juiyu G2 dual sim which was fine until it got dropped and the glass screen smashed.
Nexus 5 is a very nice phone but not dual sim and way over the price of the phone the OP was looking at.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
WTF
Grafter

Beaten to it!
Actually, even a 2nd hand Nexus 4 (last year's model which I have and which is also excellent) is probably way more expensive than the phone the OP's looking at.