cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android anger!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Android anger!!

Since I have been unable to access email on the PC for two weeks I've been relying on my mobile phone for it. In an idle moment I wandered around the phone email settings etc. and found that I'd never much looked into the mail folders; draft, sent etc. since I usually almost immediately delete mails as soon as I've either read it or ignored the junk majority.
I noticed to my horror the folder "trash" contained over 1100 mails, that is where deleted mails go, and there was me thinking that "delete" meant just that!!
Ok, I thought, just find the "select all" button and get rid of them...but there isn't one!! each mail has to be deleted one at a time. I checked with the phone maker who somewhat sheepishly admitted that this is so.
Moral, don't just delete from the "inbox" do the "trash" folder as well...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Android anger!!

Ah well, it will give you something to do in your spare time, when waiting for the kids on the skool run !  Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

If you go to " More" when trash folder open you can  "select all" and delete all at one go.
Fixes: 125

What version OS are you using.
Your post prompted me to check my trash folders. I'm using Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3) and each of my 4 mailboxes has its own corresponding Trash folder. I never set it up this way, just the way it is.
In one of the mail boxes there were many emails (53 going back to 19th Nov - looks like it might be set to keep for 28 days but have yet to find a setting that can be changed) but there is an 'Empty folder' option at the top of each list. There is also an 'Empty folder' option from the menu button.
But this is on an HTC with HTC Sense so maybe yours is a lot different?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nadger
Rising Star

My comment related to older version 2.3.6
Unfortunately don't have mail set up, as yet, on tablet running 4.2.1
Fixes: 125

Something else I have noticed is that if you select one then there is an option of 'Select all' from the menu button. This was on my previous OS as well as ICS.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
If you go to " More" when trash folder open you can  "select all" and delete all at one go.

Not on my SE Experia Mini unfortunately that option is not offered. Android version 2.3.4.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
Ok, I thought, just find the "select all" button and get rid of them...but there isn't one!!

You've just posted what I have been raging about virtually every day for weeks. I've got so fed up with this. I can find no option whatsoever to select even one single email to delete from the bin. I have to log on via the web to empty it. Latest android on Samsung Galaxy SIII.
Community Veteran

Very curiously, by dabbling around this morning I found in the "trash" folder an option to DE-select all, but those in the "bin" are not selected in the first place, this has to be done manually individually, so I'm at a loss with this.

itsme
Grafter

Thought about using another email client? I use K-9.
Infinity
Pro

Can you bulk delete the emails via a USB cable ?
My old 2.xxx  Android has this facility, to backup, access, delete etc.
Not used it for a while, I think you can do it via an app.
Have a good look around the Google Play store.
Community Veteran

Might well PlusComUK, however Its somewhat unnecessary now, having laboriously deleted the 1100 messages I have resolved not to let them build up to that extent again,
But thanks anyway.

Community Veteran

For connecting to your PC I would recommend MyPhoneExplorer.
It's a compact program that I've used from the days when it was only for Sony Ericsson phones.
Its long been updated for android and I use it now with my Samsung.
http://www.fjsoft.at/en/downloads.php
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fjsoft.myphoneexplorer.client&feature=search_resul...
I'm pretty sure that I didn't need the client at first as I think the PC software automatically loaded it on the phone.
Sres
Dabbler

Surly it would have been quicker to factory reset your phone and start over Smiley