cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Andrew and the young woman photo fake?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Andrew and the young woman photo fake?

If it was an inappropriate activity with him and her on his behalf, then kick his backside!! If they were both consenting at the time, who really cares? There's so much adultery and "a bit on the side" going on these days that it's just an every day thing, so it's not the shocking thing that it would have been years ago...

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@gleneagles wrote:

@Luzern 

And how does one tell between a true prophet and a false prophet ?

? By their works ye shall know them.

Smiley

Their works as prophets!

I reckon if Christian Restorationism ever took hold, thre are a lot of first stone throwers about

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Luzern 

Papers in question....Daily Mirror 5 days ago.......Daily Mail 6 Days ago.

Personally I would have nothing to do with anyone who abused children irrespective of how long ago it was, I have no idea how the Police or those who have any dealings with such people are able to do the job.

The effect on most of those abused has resulted in ruining the rest of their lives and I suspect some have even took their own lives as a result.

I simply cannot understand how some of these abusers have actually been in various posts in the church how can anyone claim to believe in God and do that ? Equally guilty are those that knew and said nothing.

I guess those who believe in a God will leave any punishment to him but that in no way helps the victims of abuse.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles @RobPN I appreciate your POVs and in principle agree, but if one has further knowledge of a particular person views might be mellowed. It is a bit like the slaughtering of animals mentioned elsewhere in CHAT

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Luzern 

Your view of your paedo acquaintance may have mellowed (my view, and I suspect that of many/most others wouldn't), but I doubt the views of his victims will mellow to take account of what you call "work he has done since his behaviour of some 30 years ago".

I'd err on the side of caution and take the view a paedo is a paedo - why else do some of them have to sign the Sex Offenders Register for life?

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

@RobPN wrote:

@Luzern 

.I'd err on the side of caution and take the view a paedo is a paedo - why else do some of them have to sign the Sex Offenders Register for life?

@RobPN You may take that view, as if a paedo can not change, but the fact that not all are on the SOR for life rather suggests that some are regarded more sympathetically- maybe as having behaved inappropriately on occasions, yet not paedophiles.

We'd better leave it there.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

A peer review I recall reading some time back @RobPN indicated that less than one in ten thousand change. They might not re-offend but they are never rehabilitated.

A victim has to suffer a life sentence, and so should they on that register.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@Luzern wrote:

@RobPN You may take that view, as if a paedo can not change, but the fact that not all are on the SOR for life rather suggests that some are regarded more sympathetically- maybe as having behaved inappropriately on occasions, yet not paedophiles.

We'd better leave it there.

@Luzern 

You summoned a reply from me even though I'd only 'liked' another posters comments, so don't expect me not to!

! don't know how you can justify your statement "having behaved inappropriately on occasions, yet not paedophiles"

Frankly, it sickens me that you could think someone who indulges in paedophilic behaviour "occasionally" should not be called a paedo, but perhaps being a member of an organisation which covers up such matters for generations has a bearing on your view.  I think you know the organisation I mean.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

@RobPN The hierarchies are not the memberships, so don't  tar them with your over wide brush!Angry

Actually I'm on the non conformist sector, not the Catholic and Anglican, which has suffered more from carpet sweeping.

No doubt you accept ?@Minivanman? figure over reoffending rates without thought, but I'd like to know the source.

Highlighted
RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@Luzern wrote:

@RobPN The hierarchies are not the memberships, so don't  tar them with your over wide brush!Angry

@Luzern 

So you can't even use that as an excuse for your 'forgiving' attitude towards 'occasional inappropriate indulgence' then!  Roll eyes

@Luzern wrote:

No doubt you accept ?@Minivanman? figure over reoffending rates without thought, but I'd like to know the source.

The way I read @Minivanmans post it was more about leopards not changing their spots, than re-offending.  Roll eyes

Edit: typo

Community Veteran

Let's be honest, if you had young children would you ever leave them alone in the presence of anybody, man or woman who had a history of abusing children no matter how long ago ?

There will be some who might answer yes but in my opinion that would be irresponsible but the forgiving nature of some people may well result in that yes decision.

It is amazing what some people can forgive and may even need to do so to allow them to get on with their lives and I understand that in the case of victims but most of those who abuse children are unable to see or understand what they have done is wrong and as such are at greater risk than the average person in repeating such behaviour if the opportunity arises again.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@Luzern 

As said it was a peer review from a long time ago but the figure has stuck in my mind - for my sins I was with the probation service at the time as a volunteer working with sex offenders for a few weeks.

Happy to be corrected with your own figures if you would like to supply them. Reoffending rates for prisoners in general can be as high as 60% according to this quick check, so I would suggest that those for sex offenders would be much higher. 

As for hierachies and I appreciate yours is a different church, but perhaps you'd like to remind us all the name of that guy who has just lost his appeal for sexual abuse and is still a Cardinal - and least he still was last I heard. 

I don't think anybody was trying to tar members of the church, only it's leaders.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

@RobPN Point taken, but surely the more important matter is they do not reoffend, not their minds.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

I am hesitant to post, knowing how entrenched some are in their views, but the site for a large academy in Bournemouth is causing some stir. Bournemouth is about 12 miles away from me.

The problem is that land is scarce and there are many sites being redeveloped already for business and student accomodation for the Uni. Therefore, where to put anything, let alone an academy, is highly problematical.

So where to put it then? And surely not all the probation clientele are abusers; Bournemouth can't be that bad, can it? I go there!Tongue Smiley

Community Veteran

Putting something like that next to a school is sheer stupidity, I am amazed anyone on the council would agree to such a thing if they wanted to be re elected.

Where to put it ? Plenty of Scottish Islands where nobody else lives.....plenty of space there.

Lucky they did not live in the times of the old testament when plenty of punishment was dished out there for various transgressions....