cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Andrew Marr

Community Veteran

Andrew Marr

It has been reported that Andrew Marr is in hospital after suffering a stroke.
I like his Sunday morning show on BBC1 and wish him well for a speedy recovery.
Andrew Marr
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Andrew Marr

don't like the man, but still a sad thing to have happened as it is to anyone who has a stroke.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

That's a shock, I had not heard. I like him and enjoy his Sunday programme
Fixes: 125

There's a little bit about it here, too:
BBC's Andrew Marr suffers stroke

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

I also like him and his contributions.
Get well soon Andrew.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Seems he's making good progress but it is early days.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Strokes vary considerably in severity. Mrs P has had three the first, from event to returning home after hospital treatment and rehab was in total fourteen weeks but, she was quite incapable of "thinking for herself" or indeed entirely recovered in speech. My own opinion was that she was released too early but evidently satisfied the criteria for discharge.
After eight years she has never completely recovered from the effects, her short term memory is dreadful forgetting anything that's said to her minutes after. However her long term memory (prior to the stroke) is excellent, far better than mine.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Teds31
Grafter

I also like his show, good luck Andrew get well soon.
Community Veteran

I hear it's imperative to get the right treatment as soon as possible - within an hour I think. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Certainly agree the sooner you get treatment the better.
Seems you chances of getting treatment more quickly depends when you need it, weekends or during the night and you may have to wait longer.
I also wonder if who you are has something to do with how quick you get treated by the NHS ?
Community Veteran

There is a drug that has to be injected to stroke victims and this should be done within an hour I believe.  Maybe someone on the forum will have better information.
The situation regarding treatment is getting better at weekends and nights but this does not seem to be the case everywhere. Our nearest hospital does provide 24/7 cover with senior staff on duty.
What do you mean when you say speed of  treatment could depend on who you are?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Possibly "clot-busting" is the drug type you may be thinking of. It depends on the type of stroke being treated. With Mr's P's second stroke clot-busters were used but not with the first (which was a CVA stroke)
A prompt CT scan is the primary tool used for diagnosis.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Thank you Petlew that's what I was thinking of.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo
There is a drug that has to be injected to stroke victims and this should be done within an hour I believe.  Maybe someone on the forum will have better information.
The situation regarding treatment is getting better at weekends and nights but this does not seem to be the case everywhere. Our nearest hospital does provide 24/7 cover with senior staff on duty.
What do you mean when you say speed of  treatment could depend on who you are?
Well if you are someone important or a well known person I am sure that in some cases you will be dealt with quicker. For example we often hear of patients having to wait hours on a trolley or even in an ambulance before they are admitted or treated but I have never heard of anyone famous or well known being put in this position ?
This is not a criticism of the staff in the Health service but more a criticism of lack of appropriate facilities due to the money being spent on other areas ie PFI projects