Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And so it begins.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

And so it begins.

It's been covered here before I know, but it's spades in the ground time as work starts on the HS2 link to Birmingham and beyond begins.

I doubt very much I will ever use it myself so it's just and opinion, but what a waste of time and money just to get ourselves from A to B half an hour quicker. It's not as if we've got the industry to demand it or the physical presence to require it. Anywaty, ain't it all Zoom on the internet these days rather than zooming from one part of the country to another.

Restore those old railway lines and bring back the days of steam. 

In my dreams eh?

download.jpg

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
7 REPLIES 7
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Re: And so it begins.

With there being no way of avoiding it, I think the money used on this project would be better spent putting a UK wide charging grid infrastructure in place for the new electric cars we're being forced I mean encouraged to buy.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I almost bought into the electric car dream @Mook but of late It's been more a case of 'hang on a minute' - as unless by some miracle we come up with a clean alternative to fossil fuels then all we are doing is chasing our tails by buying something we don't need, and something we most certainly don't need more of.

"Next stop Clapham Junction. Change here for West Croydon, Waddon and Wallington!"

Ah, those were the days. 🙂 

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

And returning to them is the answer as I see it. With good intercity and local transport links the need for a car is greatly reduced and with less cars on the road the more room there will be for the Home Shopping Delivery Drivers.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Ah yes, those home shopping delivery drivers and soon to be seen airborne drones and automatic vans buzzing around the place along with screams of panic as those thousands of new Amazon employees lose their jobs to robots.

It's gotta come guys. 

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman 

I think it was on the news recently that Amazon we’re creating thousands of new jobs.....but.....

As anyone in business knows the main cost to a company is staff wages it’s likely those jobs will be short term and more robotic systems used to provide the service 24/7 with the added bonus of no staff complaints or union demands.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Makes you wonder how real those 22,000 HS2 jobs are going to be.

Pie in the sky or just construction jobs, as I don't envisage these new trains having drivers, conductors or even catering staff on board. And who is going the manufacture the actual trains? Hitachi again I guess and with steel for those rails imported from China. 

22,000 home grown navvies doing the digging, and all laid off once the tunnels are dug on those lines laid.

We'll see, but I'll not be placing any bets.  

PS. Oh yes, guess who makes the Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) they'll be using. Answers on a postkarte. 😁 

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote: I doubt very much I will ever use it myself so it's just and opinion, but what a waste of time and money just to get ourselves from A to B half an hour quicker.

Funny enough much the same was said when the very first high speed line was built in.....Japan. The original project leaders both resigned while it was being built due to the criticism. And nowadays they even apologise if the train is mere seconds late arriving or leaving. Could you imagine that happening here? And the safety aspect of their fast trains is impeccable, even more so given the number of earthquakes they have, Zero injuries or deaths in 53 years of operating.

Japan seems to have a far more integrated transportation system mainly due to the Shinkansen being built than we will ever have. Why take a car / aircraft to get across the country when the train is faster and your connection options at the other end are better.

Sadly I think we're still playing catch up. Still the video on the US high speed setup sort of explains why the UK is in the same sort of boat i.e. politics!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?