Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And so it begins

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

And so it begins

Hang on your jobs as well as your hats plusnet guys, they are fast disappearing. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/05/japanese-company-replaces-office-workers-artifici...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: And so it begins

There's a lot of telephone jobs that can be easily replaced with a combination of a PHP script and Google Voice, heck, call the DWP number these days and you're talking to a damned computer for 5 minutes before being left on hold for another 30 minutes to speak to a human, probably would have been implemented more today, but there must be some call centre unions out there resisting it, but as we all know, resistance is futile... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

IS there no end to the greed of the financial sector?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

a combination of a PHP script and Google Voice

Could you elaborate on that please? - When I searched google for google voice it came up with google hangouts but nothing about how to use google voice for recognition or speech - nor how to program it via php. I'd be interested to know more!

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You need to utter an unusual combination of words - preferably non-standard English.

"You are in a queue, your call is important to us..." Grin

Community Veteran

Replacing humans with computers ?

But hang on a minute, how many times have you phoned some company and spoke to a human who acts like a computer,

in short they cannot understand the problem that you have clearly explained to them several times over and it is quite clear they are inputting your question into a computer and reading off the answer...... no wonder the recorded voice says you can go to their website at www. xxxx and look for the answer.

Likely you have been to their website and can't find the answer.

A well programmed electronic robot might be much better than the human robot you currently speak to.

Community Veteran

7up wrote:

Could you elaborate on that please?

Nope, guy who mentioned it to me won't say how he did it, probably cos he wants to profit off it...

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

7up wrote:

Could you elaborate on that please?

Nope, guy who mentioned it to me won't say how he did it, probably cos he wants to profit off it...

So you claim it can be done (though no specifics) and then can't actually back it up..

Community Veteran

7up wrote:

So you claim it can be done (though no specifics) and then can't actually back it up..

Well, considering I haven't got access to his programming (he's a certified programmer working a dead-end call centre job who is bored out of his mind), and have only interacted with the thing over a private Teamspeak server, it's kind of hard to do so, and I'm no programmer so don't know how he did it to make it work...

Community Veteran

Fair enough! I was just wondering if it was possible to build a switchboard type thing using google speech / voice etc. We don't get many spam calls now but they are annoying and some sort of IVR would be ideal for stopping them.

Community Veteran

Maybe in a few years he'll have something marketed like that, assuming he doesn't just sell the idea on to someone else, or just gives up on it, who knows...

PowerLee
Rising Star

Automated system are the way forward for a lot of big companies.

Warehousing jobs will be at risk in the near future, there are a lot of forklift jobs currently being done by a human operator that very shortly can be replaced by an automated forklift truck.

Ive seen some of the warehouse automation that is coming & the future is exciting - about 1.10 in to the video link shows the automated BT Toyota stacker & reach trucks at IMHX last September.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

".....the future is exciting"

I would say the future is worrying rather than exciting, especially for those who will not be able to keep their jobs.

Maybe it's time we started to think seriously about paying money to people each month along the lines of that Finland is considering? I'm sure I've read somewhere that a similar idea is being mooted in Scotland at the moment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/finland/12035946/Finland-is-considering-giving-ever...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Or better yet, as humans will be redundant, just abolish money and let us live like kings... Funny

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

7up wrote:

twocvbloke wrote:

a combination of a PHP script and Google Voice

Could you elaborate on that please? - When I searched google for google voice it came up with google hangouts but nothing about how to use google voice for recognition or speech - nor how to program it via php. I'd be interested to know more!

Google Voice is  a cloud/VoIP based call/messaging forwarding service, so I think he probably means Google Assistant