cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And another apparent scam...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

And another apparent scam...

This one purporting to come from ISP EE.

I had a letter from EE today telling me that they had received a request to replace the phone line at this address with an EE phone service starting 10th July 2017.

If I didn't make this request I should call them on an 0800 number (not added here)

Instead of the given EE number, I called Plus as they are my phone provider and established there were no such requests or activity on my account. Plus were kind enough to give me a direct number for EE, which I called instead of the given 0800 number.

Needless to say EE knew nothing about the letter, or recognised the 0800 number as one of theirs. They did say though that any letter would have been sent to a named recipient, my letter was sent to "the occupier"

EE agreed that the letter was a scam that would begin by using the 0800 number.

The letter itself - other than the use of "the occupier" - looked entirely plausible with no obvious grammar or spelling errors.

If you receive one, find the nearest bin.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: And another apparent scam...

It grieves me to say so though, but Plus could learn a thing or two from EE, especially their response times. EE answered on the 5th ring, somewhat better than the 20 minutes Plus managed.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

It wouldn't surprise me if scammers checked around forums for hints.

Like - if we target plusnet customers there is a good chance of them phoning our number instead of phoning plusnets and waiting (as you say) twenty minutes plus.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Had a call from 0448081897777 at about midday on Spring Bank Holiday, but I wasn't here.  They called again three days later (1st June) when the number shown was 08081897777 (again I wasn't in).  It's interesting that they ask you to call back; this would indicate that they make money out of your call.  0808 numbers are of course free in this country.  +1, i.e. 001 is of course the dialling code for the US, but their 'area codes' are three digits and 808 is Hawaii.  If you are calling 08081897777 in the UK from the US you would dial 0448081897777, but I don't know if those numbers are accessible from abroad.

If it's another lottery scam I'm afraid they are out of luck since I'm already stinking rich having won the Nigerian lottery numerous times over the years!

Fixes: 121

Jonpe wrote:

...since I'm already stinking rich having won the Nigerian lottery numerous times over the years!

I'd have thought that with all that money you could at least treat yourself to some soap, thenCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still