cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And I thought my Steering Wheel was complicated !

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

And I thought my Steering Wheel was complicated !

The incredible graphic that reveals the screens, buttons, dials and switches on a Sauber Formula 1 steering wheel
Wheel boasts more than 35 buttons, dials, switches, levers and lights, all with a specific purpose

The teams all work with their drivers to develop the wheels, using 3d printing to try out designs.
'The driver can judge whether all the controls are in just the right position.

'If not, he advises on where he would like changes to be made.'
Once the design is finalised, production can begin.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2623514/The-incredible-graphic-reveals-screens-button...

And I thought my latest acquisition Jazz Hybrid steering wheel was full of switches & buttons, 18 at last count.
Plus many other displays, switches etc nearby on the dashboard.
(File photo, away from UK atm)

Reminds me of the development work done at British Aerospace on various Jet Fighter(s) cockpit layouts when I worked there for a while, lots of low fps film shot of cockpit ergonomics and switch / buttons positioning, with the Test Pilots, on the Ground in a Cockpit mock-up.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: And I thought my Steering Wheel was complicated !

My previous car <a Mondeo> had a steering wheel full of switches, bells and whistles, Ooo goodie!! I thought being a confirmed gadget freak...
My current car <Toyota Avensis> has none except twin horn buttons, so sorry Ford (and others packing every available space with buttons for this and that) I much prefer it so I can get on with the job of pointing the car where I want tp go.
As an aside, because most modern cars (for some time now) have the drivers air-bag in the steering wheel, which dictates the common flattened 4 spoke layout. Does anybody else find it uncomfortable during a longish drive? while I don't grip the wheel, I find the part of the hand that rests on the upper spokes can get quite numb after a while especially in the recommended 10 to 2 position. This leads me after a while to be constantly changing hand positions or driving with one hand often in the space between the lower spokes to give alternate hands a chance to recover.
Its not just the current car, it applies to the half-dozen or so cars I've had with similar layout steering wheels.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Lewis Hamilton asked his Mercedes team to reduce the amount of buttons etc on his steering wheel, they managed to get the total down to 27  Grin
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/lewis-hamilton-makes-mercedes-reduce-1706059
Infinity
Pro

From the link
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/lewis-hamilton-makes-mercedes-reduce-1706059
"But the man at the centre of so many controversies has steered into another little mystery; how his steering wheel can have a prominent red button right by his left thumb with a big ‘X’ on it that, the team says, does absolutely nothing at all."

I used to do Multitrack ie Multifader Music Recordings and Mixdowns for a large TV Company......
We had a fader on the side of the 36 Channel mixing desk, that if the Music Exec / Producer wanted to slightly change something in the mix, and we didn't quite agree, we would tell the ME that we had assigned what they wanted to change to that fader, after lots of button pressing and switch changing, and they were quite happy to move that fader up and down a bit, until they were happy.
Of course, the fader didn't alter anything in the mix, but it kept them happy !!
Meanwhile, slight adjustments would be surreptitiously made by the Sound Mixer.

Fixes: 47

Ahh...happy memories behind a 24 channel Soundcraft Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation