Analogue switch off Television

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Analaogue switch off Television

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Me I live on top of an Essex Hill

There's only one isn't there -  Roll_eyes
Danbury.
That's a good spot for radio - we could pick up TV from London, Anglia and Southern
Highlighted
Rising Star

Quote from: HPsauce
I live NW of London, in the Chilterns and our aerial points at Crystal Palace, over 30 miles away with a local hill and some trees in the way.
Could you, like us, be receiving London from Bedmond mast at Hemel.
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
Quote from: pierre_pierre
Me I live on top of an Essex Hill

There's only one isn't there -  Roll_eyes
Danbury.
That's a good spot for radio - we could pick up TV from London, Anglia and Southern

not getting into that again, its not the highest.
I get all the ones on the list above and am not as high a Danbury
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Reminds me as a kid, used to get Thames/LWT (obviously as was living in London).
Also could get a weak TVS signal, so I used to watch their news at times. Smiley
Shame ITV is hell bent on destroying itself now.
Regionality went in 2002, and is going to be merged into fewer to save cash Angry
But of course, the reason for their falling profits is not because they make and show crap, it's the rise digital television and people now having more 'choice'.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

A long long time ago, back in the early 1980`s, I used to "mess around" with the insides of old black & white dual standard Televisions.... you have to be very careful cos there`s some very high voltages on the back of that tube !!!.... I also built a very heath-robinson rotating and tilting aerial, on a 25 foot mast at the bottom of the garden, controlled by pulling a rope to turn and tilt it.... Having adjusted the cores on the iF board, and disconnecting the changeover from 405 to 625 switch, I could watch  four channels of French television, and several other "local" stations. I was located just north of  Portsmouth, about 120 feet a.s.l.  in a housing estate.  I also managed to hear the sound of ITV midlands from Birmingham on a couple of occasions... Great fun, but couldn`t do it now.... those old Televisions are just not available, and I don`t expect the frequencies are either... Have fancied doing similar with satellite t.v (rotating dish(es) ) but swmbo isn`t keen on me messing up the garden with "objet d`art!!)
Highlighted
Grafter

You dont need a big dish Gery, and the control of the dish is from the tuner indoors, the motor sits between the dish and the mount, get a copy of What Satellite & Digital TV mag, next due 18th Dec (Jan 2009 editoion 270) and see what you are missing, the number of free channels is enormous
Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shermans
I have not yet gone digital and am yet to be convinced that the quality of television is worth the the investment in a set-top box

The picture quality can be wers van Analogue, if the signal gos down the picture will go blocky or go off all together with digital.  Sad
I have 2 SKY+ Boxs, and this happens to me when it rains.
Highlighted
Grafter

Just one other point folks, if you want to record anything your recording device must have integrated digital box too or be capable of remotely switching your STB or freesat box (unless these have a timer of course)

And also thought the following site may prove helpful for freesat at least
http://www.satcure.co.uk/

Bit annoyed to hear I wont be able to get freeview HD when I move without just a simple firmware upgrade on my TV, but hey, we're in a recession and I suppose they got kit to sell.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Alternatively you do what I have to do - separately program the set top box and the DVD recorder and then watching another channel using the second set top box.
Why did I buy a DVD/Hard Drive recorder instead of a PVR (personal video recorder) and the answer is that I wanted to record on a hard drive and then dub the programs I wanted to keep onto DVD and there still aren't any twin tuners PVRs with an integral DVD recorder.
Highlighted
Grafter

Dont think I posted them in this thread, but the attached info one about Freeview HD, the other about receiving Sat
Highlighted
Grafter

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Re: Analogue switch off Television

[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim) spelling of thread title corrected because it was aggravating me ]  Grin
Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Analogue switch off Television

HD on Sat, note most sky ones have Videoguard encryption on Subscriiption
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

Quote from: Oldjim
Alternatively you do what I have to do - separately program the set top box and the DVD recorder and then watching another channel using the second set top box.
Why did I buy a DVD/Hard Drive recorder instead of a PVR (personal video recorder) and the answer is that I wanted to record on a hard drive and then dub the programs I wanted to keep onto DVD and there still aren't any twin tuners PVRs with an integral DVD recorder.

There are DVD recorders with built-in digital decoders though (I've got one).  Smiley
There are also TV's with built-in digital decoders though (I've got one).  Smiley
The TV also has an analogue decoder as well.
I haven't got a set-top box though.  Cheesy
I didn't buy a PVR because I'm a bit paranoid about a firmware broadcast locking me out
from recording certain broadcast material - is this possible???
Also, you can't access the disk in a PVR - what happens if the hardware fails?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
Also, you can't access the disk in a PVR - what happens if the hardware fails?

I have a Toshiba PVR, 5 years old and never had an issue.