Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analogue switch off Television

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: Analaogue switch off Television

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/ gives loads of information about the likely reception if you tick the "I am in the aerial installation trade" box.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
Midhurst
Edit: We needed a mast head amplifier for analogue!

When was the antenna installed, updated .
I'd seriously think about having it looked at - and if not fairly new consider replacing with a good quality antenna and feeder
Sorry if I teaching you to suck eggs, but in any radio system, the antenna is a fundamental and integral part of the system and far too many people aren't given good advice. I equate it to a car - you must have good quality tyres if you are to use the braking and acceleration of the car.
Put cheap narrow tyres on and the car will not perform as it should.
exactly the same applies to any radio transmitter and receiver
Highlighted
Community Veteran

You might want to revise your post after you've read the PM I sent with transmitter information based on my postcode.
It wasn't that long ago that the amplifier was replaced as the old one packed up.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Actually, one thing that would improve reception around here would be to ban those stupid motor scooters that the local youth seem so fond of!
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

Quote from: jelv
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/ gives loads of information about the likely reception if you tick the "I am in the aerial installation trade" box.

That link is a bit conservative - I get good reception on channels that I'm not due to get until 2012.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: axisofevil

That link is a bit conservative -.  Grin

Think it's designed that way to be safe  Wink
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Nadger, re your post#49
In 1958 I started working as an apprentice for Kolster Brande (KB) radio and TV manufacturers in Footscray, Kent. Later we aquired the RGD and Regentone brands as well. You're right about the size of sets although by 1958 we were starting to use printed circuit boards.  We also had the first colour TV in the UK Grin
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Dread to think how large a set top box would have been.

You should see the size of the TV camera's and transmitters  Smiley
I did my apprenticeship with Marconi - and when I went to a TV transmitting site not so long ago - I saw the exact model of transmitters in use  that were produced when I was an apprentice back on the late 60's !.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

We also had a contract to make hearing aids for the government.  They were the size of a pack of cards.
Highlighted
Grafter

Not sure about Artmo, I get my signal from Sudbury (suffolk), they have two masts, one that I think was put up by Chan 5, both transmit Digital, they are next door to each other, Sud a & Sud B.  the ITV group transmit on both Masts with different channels  56 and 68
I also think that the ITV Group (see below 10c)  transmit on a different method to all the rest, they are supposed to be changing

PS I can get all those transmitters with my Antenna rotator
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I'm on London TV so guess I'll get my signal from Crystal Palace and Bluebell Hill. Undecided
Highlighted
Grafter

depends if you live in a dip, South of Chelmsford most likely Bluebell Hill And the Local News with be Southern, Crystal palace is more likely yours with London local news
Out of interest Bishops Stortford has a sub transmitter that has yet another Local news,  Mine is Look East/Anglia  Me I live on top of an Essex Hill
Highlighted
Fixes: 459

Where I live in the south of Sheffield everyone on our road including me was on Belmont and generally had a poor channel 5. My neighbour received a Freeview STB as a gift but could get no Freeview at all.
I had a new aerial installed and requested to be put on Emley Moor. The installer insisted that as everyone else was on Belmont that must be the best transmitter. I naturally overruled him and got my way.
I now have a better channel 5 than the rest of the terrestrial channels and very good Freeview if I wish. I don't because I use satellite. The moral of the story is there are good and bad aerial installers.
Shortly after my neighbours started to have new aerials fitted.....pointing north Smiley

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

What transmitter you pick up seems very problematic at present with the low power of current transmissions.
I live NW of London, in the Chilterns and our aerial points at Crystal Palace, over 30 miles away with a local hill and some trees in the way.
But it wasn't bad, with some masthead amplification and a wideband aerial.
Recently we had to have both replaced due to damage and I also changed our internal distribution amp. The new one mixes TV and FM down a single cable (we have an omnidirectional FM aerial on the same mast) and we have "splitter" sockets where appropriate.
The result is we now pick up another Freeview transmitter as well, equally far away, but beyond Reading!
So we get LOADS of digital channels, but which is best depends on the weather!
As the TV aerial is pointing about 120 degrees away from the 2nd transmitter it could be the FM aerial that's picking it up I guess.
Once Crystal palace gets up to full power (a few years yet) I guess it will swamp everything else for us; can't recall the exact number but I think it was something of the order of a100-fold increase!  Crazy
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
depends if you live in a dip, South of Chelmsford most likely Bluebell Hill And the Local News with be Southern, Crystal palace is more likely yours with London local news

West of Chelmsford and we get London local news from Crystal Palace.