cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analogue switch off Television

Highlighted
Fixes: 459

Re: Analaogue switch off Television

But all TVs come fitted with an analogue tuner and not everyone uses that. Smiley
I'll have to ask one of the senior members of the community if the first TVs came without an analogue tuner and this was a bolt on extra. I'm not old enough to remember that time Smiley Undecided

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Grafter

another goody I forgot.
Regional TV  - With A Free - to view sat  you can receive all the regional progs, not just your local.  It is difficult but not impossible to do it on Sky and FreeSat.
Also dont forget the Radio Progs available on Digital.
Currently Terrestrial Dig is only available to 70%,  Sat about 95%
Highlighted

@Pierre did you download those PDFs or create them. The reason I ask is because they error up in Adobe 8.1.

Highlighted
Grafter

my 405 TV only got BBC1
created them, open OK with Firefox viewer
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Not opening for me either Pierre Sad
Highlighted

What are you using to create them?
Ooops we are drifting off topic Embarrassed

Highlighted
Grafter

on my tab it says doPDF V6,  I read it with http://www.foxitsoftware.com/
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Unfortunately Foxit has a nasty glitch in that often the result can't be read by Adobe when the document is produced via a pdf print command. This is why I changed to  PDF-Xchange Viewer http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/ which created these which were produced using Cutepdf writer
Highlighted
Grafter

Oh well some you win some you loose - Thanks Jim 
did you see my comments re lining up dish about #21 previous page
Highlighted

Apologies to Mods in advance.
Nice avatar Jim, makes a change from your usual more 'severe' one Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

@pierre_pierre - yes indeed very enlightening thanks
@strat - well it is Christmas - Goodwill to all men  Cheesy
Regarding Foxit - this is what killed it for me http://forums.foxitsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=6510&highlight=cutepdf
Even going through their support system couldn't fix it so I junked the program.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

A couple of points Digital signals at the moment are running at 20% or less of their maximum power which will come in when they are fully digital  so any picture you get now isnt a guide for the future.
There is a page on teletext to test your signal. The test pattern, broadcast on page 284 on BBC One, BBC Two, ITV1 and Channel 4 and S4C, provides a more accurate and objective result.
You can run 5 tv from a digital set top box if it has a RF output available from Argos but they will all be on the same channel just take the output from the digi box via booster to other tvs it works well if everyone want to watch the same tv.
A lot of people will be able to get channel 5 ok on digital as it was started after the other channels it is outside the range of a lot of normal Antennas so the signal is very bad. In our area Granada its terrible. 
All the channels we now have there is still nothing on half the time bar repeats and +1 repeats of repeats
There is help available if you are old or on the dole at the time of the switch over but they wont say how much until you get close to the time. Scotland has some areas digital all ready
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

You get Film4, BBC3, BBC4 though - and the History channel in the daytime on digital.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: samuria
A couple of points Digital signals at the moment are running at 20% or less of their maximum power which will come in when they are fully digital  so any picture you get now isnt a guide for the future.
There is a page on teletext to test your signal. The test pattern, broadcast on page 284 on BBC One, BBC Two, ITV1 and Channel 4 and S4C, provides a more accurate and objective result.

Thanks for the teletext test pages.
On your first point I think as the analogue signal is cut this allows them to boost the digital one.
When the analogue sigal is finally cut off the government is auctioning the bands as they did for G3 some time ago.  The last region to be switched off is London and the South which is in 2012.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: samuria

Are you sure ALL transmitters are running 20%. It was my understanding that the main stations were running a good bit higher than that if not at 100%, but the relay stations where  on, are at  reduced power until switchover day. ??.

I've looked at http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/transmitters.html , and elsewhere and can't find the reference . The BBC engineering pages used to have a lot more but I can't find it now.