cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analogue switch off Television

Highlighted
Fixes: 459

Re: Analaogue switch off Television

...and of course there are 2 types of HD TVs, 'HD Ready' which are generally 1366x768 and 'HD Ready 1080' which are 1920x1080 in other words full HD
Personally I bought an HD Satellite kit including STB, dish and cabling. Installation was fairly straight forward with the inevitable help from the Internet :). With this I receive Freesat and 'other' channels.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

As someone who is considering the same route - how difficult was it to align the dish or did you need to get an installer to do it.
Highlighted

I was determined to do it myself Jim and it is much easier with two people, one in the house and one outside. When I bought the kit from Maplin I also asked for a signal strength meter. I bolted the dish to the wall and did a rough alignment using sky dishes around as a guide. I then connected up the STB and the meter. This enabled me to align the dish more accurately.
The only thing which foxed me and quite a few others is the skew angle of the LNB. With virtually all LNBs the skew is clockwise facing the dish, with the one supplied it's anticlockwise. So a browse on the satellite forums put me right.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

The antenna may need changing - as the frequency sub-band used is different from the analogue channels, and some of the old feeders may not be optimum and may need replacing. Like any radio system, a good antenna system is an essential part of the package and given that many house have had the same aerial and feeder for 10, 20 or 30 years since UHF 625 line / colour ws introduced - surely a little money spend on a new antenna system can be justified. After all do you still have the same car, washing machine, refrigerator that you had in 1967 ?  Smiley
It also depends on whether you are receiving the signal from a main station or a relay. Many of the relay transmitter sites  have not been upgraded tio digital yet because f spectrum issues - there aren't enough frequencies, and sometimes if they have they may well be running at reduced power until the changeover date - and then the analogue transmitters will be switched off and the digital transmitters set to full power, so the signa strength will improve in many areas. 
I agree about the quality of much TV, but I do think that Freeview has added BBC3 &4, the news and parliament channel, ITV2, More 4 etc so is worthwhile.
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: shutter
As you are already a "radio" receiver (pun intended)  have you tried listening to the international broadcasters on the Short Waves? 

The answer is "yes" and "no".  I actually have an "Internet radio" which is plugged into the hifi and, as my wife is Canadian, we do sometimes listen to the CBC - especially at present as the politics is unusually interesting (the Governor General has just emulated Oliver Cromwell and sacked Parliament !  perhaps we should try it ).  But I have not tried anything else on it - oh, except Radio Reykjavik when we had some Icelandic guests and was surprised to find all their national stations are broacast often in English as it is the lingua franca.  So I must experiment with some others.  Thanks for the idea. Cheesy
Highlighted
Grafter

Phew that a lot of answers in a short time.
I have used a lot of the various systems.  The maplin free to view  that strat mentioned can be got from £60  a sat finder to align the dish £20. see http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=13019&MenuName=Satellite+Kits&FromMe
FreeSat is the BBC system.  this gives as 14 day EPG (Electronic program guide) wheras the free to view is often only now and next  £75 plus
FreeSat has about 50 channels, free to view thousands - see What Satellite andDigital TV magazine for details  (Simple sections and pro section)
HD TV currently only three on FreeSat.  cant be received on standard sat sets needs a different tuner.  Sky has a lot more but you have to pay
Sky Free is a limited service, i.e. Men & Motors and Dave (World Rally) have to be paid for on Sky but are free elswhere
Antenna  the Digital terestrial signals normally require a wide band antenna, the Analogue could have needed either a top end, mid or low band. that is why you might need a new one
PVR  (personal video recorder)  a lot os standard Digital available £50 upwards, Humax have just brought out a HD FreeSat one £299
@Jim   the simple sat finder that I have has a short jump lead and goes nest to the dish, so up your wobbly ladder you can adjust the dish to get the best signal,
dish angle finder http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/astra1d.html
links http://www.ukfree.tv/starthere.php
http://www.astra2d.com/index.htm
Hope that helps a little

Highlighted

Quote from: pierre_pierre
HD TV currently only three on FreeSat.  cant be received on standard sat sets needs a different tuner.  Sky has a lot more but you have to pay

I currently watch BBC HD and have watched, albeit briefly, a football match on ITV HD. I don't have a Freesat box.
My kit cost more than £60 as it is HD Undecided and if you buy a USB hard drive you can record to your heart's content Smiley
I do believe that satellite is the future of television broadcasting.

Highlighted
Grafter

yes it might be, the set up cost is a lot more, freeview (terrestial) £15 free sat £50 freeSat £75, sky free £150,  Sky - What do you want to watch,
did you buy a PVR ready from Maplin?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

The satellite box most people regard as the best on the market at present is the Humax Foxsat HD.  it costs aronf £150 and installation is around £75 including the dish that is required.
http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/search.do?n=0&searchTerm=freesatboxes
Highlighted
Grafter

I wondered why I quoted £299.  that was for the Humax Foxsat HDR  - i.e. a PVR version  -320 Gb HDD
Highlighted

@Pierre if your last post but one was addressed to me then I bought this kit from Maplin and the STB has front and rear USB ports for various uses including recording off air. I bought one of these for recording.
Having said that and knowing what I know now I wouldn't buy one of these kits again as there are better STBs and Fortec (the STB manufacturer) support is poor.

Why do they call them set top boxes when they generally sit on a shelf underneath the set Crazy    Just a thought Smiley

Highlighted
Grafter

dont know, I had to use a lot of super glue to make it stay on top of my LCD TV  Cheesy Cheesy
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

Don't forget that any DVD recorders will need a set-top box (or come with one built-in).
You can download stuff over the internet and then burn it onto a DVD which can be played back via your television.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted

I believe it's been said before but I find it very strange that CRT Televisions are still on sale and also Televisions without Freeview decoding built in. Crazy

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I guess not everyone wants Freeview.  a lot will go for Sky, Virgin or the new Freesat.