Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analogue switch off Television

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Analogue switch off Television

The analogue swith off pf terrestrial TV has started.  I have not yet gone digital and am yet to be convinced that the quality of television is worth the the investment in a set-top box, even thought they only cost a few pounds.
One question I have is whether you need a separate set-top box for every television in the house ?  At present, I just have a single aerial on the roof and various sockets around the house.  Would each socket need a separate set-top box or how does it work ?
Someone must know the answer hopefully ?
93 REPLIES
paulby
Grafter

Re: Analaogue switch off Television

You'll need a box for every TV.
This page may be useful.
Edit:  added link
Emma
Grafter

As far as I'm aware you would need a set top box for each TV. My mother-on-law as one box then a tv signal sender thing attached to the digibox and can change channel on the upstairs TV that doesn't have its own box.
Not only is the picture better you get more channels. Freeview isn't available everywhere via the normal aerial you made need a digital aerial that cost around £100. Sky might be a better option, its free to install and the minimum package is £17 a month giving you hundreds of channels.
I personally have freesat (sky box and dish but no subscription) I used to have sky+ but we felt it was a waste of money for us as we hardly did anything other than watch tele.
Have a look at http://www.digitaltelevision.gov.uk/ and http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/ for more information.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, you do need a seperate set top Digital box for each t.v. in each room.... so long as you have a good strong signal on channel 5 (no snow) then you should be able to run two or three t.v`s off the same aerial...... however, the old long thin t.v. aerial is only good for strong signal areas... If you live in a medium to poor area, then you will probably need to upgrade to one of the "fancy " V aerials... your local TV shop should be able to advise you what signal strength you have...
itsme
Grafter

If there is no problems with the digital signal, i.e. you are in a good reception area, than the quality and the functions of digital TV is far superior than analogue TV.
You need a STB for each TV as the decoded signal is supplied via the scart socket to the TV.
itsme
Grafter

Regarding aerials I would not place to much faith in the Channel 5 test as my signal for this channel was very good. But when I upgraded to digital I was not able to receive most of the ITV channels. This is because these channels are on a higher carrier frequency than the aerial was designed for. The carrier frequencies I believe change from transmitter to transmitter. So I would recommend talking to your neighbours using freeview whether they had to upgrade to a wide bandwidth aerial (normally referred to as a digital aerial)
Reading from the digitaluk site it seem that after switchover the carrier frequencies (channels) will be in the range of the current analogue transmissions. So may be worth waiting after the switchover before investing in a new aerial.
nadger
Rising Star

We are still using 20 year old aerial and have no problems with Freeview - actually pick up two transmitters from the one aerial ( Bedmond & Sandy)
Living over 400 ft above sea level with a 10 mile view from bedroom window also helps - people in centre of Leighton Buzzard do have problems.
Very pleased that I bought Thomson box with twin tuners and hard drive earlier this year. Sometimes watch analogue and also record 2 digital progs at same time. The pause and other facilities certainly help improve overall pleasure of watching TV  Smiley
Community Veteran

The analogue swith off pf terrestrial TV has started.  I have not yet gone digital and am yet to be convinced that the quality of television is worth the the investment in a set-top box, even thought they only cost a few pounds.

You will need to "invest" in something, to receive television pictures..... CABLE?    SKY?   or on your PC via BROADBAND?  all will cost you far more than the "investment" in a couple of set top boxes. (for two t.v.`s)   and as the terrestrial digital  sytem expands across the country due to the switch of of "normal" tv ... so will the number of channels be increasing..... all at no extra cost.... compare that to sky...   O.K. there are a load of "c**p shopping channels on the digibox.  but you get them on sky too and have to pay every month for the privelige!!!... It is worth remembering to "RE-SCAN" your digibox for new channels every couple of months as they are not announced anywhere, they just appear !!.. (all for free)   and if you go to sky just to get BBC and the other "normal channels"   you are paying twice..... you pay the licence fee for the BBC and other terrestrial channels, and then you pay sky to watch them !!!  oh dear...... no thanks.... (and I do appreciate that in parts of Wales and Scotland it is the only way you can watch TV)
maranello
Aspiring Pro

Picture quality on digital can be better than analogue. I considered replacing my TV set with a digital one, and borrowed a set top box to check if I could receive digital broadcasts. Just as well, saved me the trouble of spending out on a new TV as the picture quality of the digital channels was much better. If you can borrow a set top box I would recommend trying this. The quality of the programmes you get on all the extra channels is a matter of personal opinion.
One thing to be aware of, is that the quality of set top boxes can vary, but reading reviews can be a bit distorting as sometimes it is not the box itself but the aerial and signal quality that could be below par.
Also you should be aware that the majority of set top boxes connect to your TV via SCART connections, and if your TV doesn't have a SCART socket you would be better off replacing the set with a digital one. Prices are dropping.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
paulby
Grafter

I do appreciate that in parts of Wales and Scotland it is the only way you can watch TV

Not any more - you can get satellite TV without going to Sky.  Freesat is run by the BBC and ITV and only requires you to purchase the equipment (no subscriptions required).
If you've got Sky you can change and get a Freesat box as the dish and satellites used are exactly the same.  You can now also get Freesat+ which has the same functionality as Sky+.
Community Veteran

AH Yes !  I forgot about Freesat !!  but the OP will still have to invest in "something"    cos when they switch off the analogue system .... their ain`t not  no tele signals unless he goes digital one way or the other !!!    Embarrassed Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've not got a proper aerial in my flat, so I bought one of those small mains-powered set-top aerials (£20 from Argos at the time).
My TV and DVD recorder are only a couple of years old, so both have a digital receiver built in.
I use the one built into the DVD recorder, and have the aerial plugged into that. Then the DVD recorder connects to my TV via an HDMI cable (but I guess Scart would do). It's supposed to have HDMI upscaling, but I don't notice much difference.
Works pretty well, but my Channel 5 signal is quite weak, as is Sky 3 at times.
Shame it's not ITV really, as I wouldn't miss it.
The DVD recorder automatically tells me if a new service has appeared on Freeview, and do I want to do a re-scan.
Seems to do this quite often actually. I suspect only certain receivers do this, with others you have to do it manually I guess.
shermans
Rising Star

Wow !
Thanks for all the feedback.
But I think that all seals it for me - the old TVs are destined for the garbage along with the broadcasters.  The four channels which I get already are bad enough - I hate to think how much worse it can get with even more choice !  It is very sad when UK television once had such a fine reputation abroad, that it has descended to the point where there is so little worth watching that I would rather do without, than waste money on upgrading equipment.  The BBC clearly does not need my licence fee anyway if they have so much money to squander on £6 million contracts for some of its irrelevant stars.
Thankfully, there is still radio to which I listen more in any case than I watch TV, and even though the quality of some programmes on the radio has declined, the service generally is still pretty good.
So thanks for all the information.  I now know where I stand.
Community Veteran

As you are already a "radio" receiver (pun intended)  have you tried listening to the international broadcasters on the Short Waves?  you can get some really interesting stations....All India Radio, China International, Canadian Broadcasting, and even Radio Moscow. all have English Services.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I didn't read this whole thread properly  Embarrassed but one thing you need to be aware of.
A new television with digital tuner marketed as HD-ready won't work on the HD channels which are coming to Freeview without another set top box.
The reason is that Ofcom have announced a new standard for HD transmissions which the present range of set top boxes and televisions won't accept