Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An ugly turn of events.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: An ugly turn of events.

Another issue that has been going on for some time is the, ‘Spratley Islands Dispute’ in which a number of countries lay claim to various islands in the south China seas.

China could easily take over these islands and others claiming it’s in their territory could do nothing about it.

Perhaps HK is just a test to see if anyone dare oppose them which will not happen other than the usual verbal threats.

It will not be long before China make further moves to increase it’s  territory.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

I guess it's the nature of nations to flex their muscles and stretch their arms and whilst I have little sympathy for China especially in the way they treat certain sectors of their population notwithstanding Hong Kong to which I feel they have a legitimate right and certainly greater than ours was, if we keep our nose if not out of their affairs but out of their backyard, I see no threat to world peace from that quarter of the globe.

Russia is the one to watch as even according to Ben Wallace the UK Defence Secretary they are the number 1 adversary threat to the UK citing regular sightings if Russian ships and submarines as well as invoking the 2018 Salisbury scandal.

Oh, and who can forget when the Americans forced the Bolivian presidents to land in their search for Edward Snowdon. Pot calling the kettle black even though both were well out of order. 

Awkward or what.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Russian warships, and , indeed, Merchant ships, have every right to "be off the coast of UK" so long as they stay in international waters ( 12 mile limit applies).  They also have just the same rights of passage through the straights of Dover as any other merchant or "forren" warship, traversing to/from the North Sea to/from the Atlantic Ocean.

Russian warship movements are monitored by the MoD. as a matter of course. in the same way that the Russians will monitor our movements... Even I do that  ! using the internet... but I am sure they ( the Russians, & the MoD) have much more sophisticated equipment . It would not surprise me to learn that there is a Russian Sub following "Big Lizzie" and her group, at a "respectful distance" underwater.... and reporting back on any ELINT to Moscow.

The "headline" that Russian warships are circling the UK was just that   a " click bait" headline to sell more papers.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Totally agree @shutter, they have an absolute right to traverse wherever in our oceans and under international law - which you will know about far better than myself. As for click bait most certainly and even the Russians are masters at that if you take look at their RT web site for example.

The point I'm making is that China does not have a task force steaming towards the north Atlantic or heavens forbid, up the English Channel whereas we have one going the other way!  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

The "Task Force"... is on a "Peace keeping"  ( aka "showing the flag" ) type mission... it is not an "aggressive" task force.  It is something the the USN and the RN have done for a couple of centuries now ! . It gives the crew(s) and the organisations, different scenarios, and different climatic conditions of operating, which is all good training. You may not be aware, but these trips DO work in favour of the UK, in terms of trade and "friendship" commitments, which is what the main value is in doing these kinds of operations... Also, it provides a welcome disaster relief platform for anywhere in the world that is devastated by the weather systems, such as Tsunami, Cyclones/Typhoons/Tornados/Earthquakes etc... providing highly skilled personnel, and services to help to restore some semblance of life after the event.