Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An ugly turn of events.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

An ugly turn of events.

State piracy or State hijacking, this has got to be an ugly turn of events whatever your political views... although you'd be hard put not to side with Belarus if reading RT News and their slant on it without taking a pinch of salt first.

"Protasevich himself previously worked directly for the Washington-funded propaganda outlet, which supports US foreign policy goals in Eastern and Central Europe"

And Ryanair of all carriers! 

Flying out from Luton will never be the same again.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
19 REPLIES 19
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: An ugly turn of events.

I gave up watching the RT TV channel many moons ago when I decided there was far too much propaganda for my liking.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

I hear you, but their propaganda is more easily recognized than our own?

I sometimes think we might be blinded by our own cultural bias, history and loyalty. Always good to at least pay some regard to what others are saying, but RT do seem to push it to the edge sometimes I must admit.

Queen visits new aircraft carrier rule Britannia.

Putin visits Black Sea fleet in Sevastapol.... 

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Minivanman wrote:

@RobPN 

I sometimes think we might be blinded by our own cultural bias, history and loyalty. Always good to at least pay some regard to what others are saying, but RT do seem to push it to the edge sometimes I must admit.

Queen visits new aircraft carrier rule Britannia.

Putin visits Black Sea fleet in Sevastapol.... 

I've been thinking this for a while too.

Russia (or part of the old USSR) forces a plane down, there is an outcry. USA or the UK forces a plane down, it's all good.

It really does depend which side of the fence you're on doesn't it. It's easy to slag off Putin for being all bad yet he took Crimea without a single shot fired. If that had been the USA there'd be bombs dropping and loss of life all over the place.

These days it's down to who can put out the most convincing argument to the people it seems. Right and wrong seem to have no clearly defined boundaries anymore.

What worries me more these days is China which seems hell bent on taking every bit of land and sea that it possibly can. No doubt they'll soon claim all of Mars is theirs too.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I think we should be more worried about China having got it’s foot in the door with many other countries, we had a close shave with 5G, if we had gone down that route they could have had access to all sorts of valuable data.

Not sure what the position is with China and the EU regarding 5G but they do far more trade with China.

Russia is much weaker these days but clings on to the old ways, or at least those in power do but many and mostly young people want change with fair elections.

To force a plane to land under false pretences is serious but I doubt other that sanctions and verbal threats the thing will die down, after all the Russians have poisoned several people in this country but other than sanctions and disapproval from others nothing really happened, compared to that this kidnapping is of little consequence, no one is going to start a war over it.

China is the main threat, no Russia.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Strat
Fixes: 514

This incident reminded me of Argo.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 89.0.1 (64-bit)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Interesting about China, but check out how many US bases there are around the world and lets remind ourselves how many times China has sent a task force into European waters or had their navy steaming up and down either side of the American coast. China does just what the British Empire did and what the last gasp American one is trying to do. 

Mind you, China has one heck of a big army! 

"The United States operates a global network of military installations and is by far the largest operator of military bases abroad with locations in dozens of nations on every continent..."

List of United States military bases - Wikipedia

There are a few here who will remember quite clearly the Cuban missiles crises. What some may not remember is that the US had nuclear missiles already stationed in Turkey smack bang on what was then the Soviet border. These were quietly removed as part of the deal in getting those ships to turn around. 

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman 

All that’s true enough, first the British, then the Americans and now…..it’s China’s turn.

It is said the Chinese have long memories and I doubt they are our best friends based on how we or others treated them in the past.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Chinese Warships, have already visited Britain.

2001 ...  http://www.china.org.cn/english/2001/Oct/20049.htm

2017....https://thediplomat.com/2017/10/chinese-warships-make-first-london-voyage/

but only recently..

Bloomberg reports  "Royal Navy sending a warning to China " 

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-04-30/u-k-s-royal-navy-is-sending-a-warning-to-china...

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

During the cold war, when in the RAF, we were told Russia was not the problem but to keep an eye on the "sleeping giant", or China.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Makes me wonder what the bloody point is of sending Big Lizzie down to china - with just 8 F35s onboard (I thought it had capacity for something like 40?). A few support ships.. WHATS THE POINT?

The chinese could easily sink the entire lot.. unless our Navy has something up its sleeve that we're not aware of existing weaponary wise.

One thing is for sure, if our forces don't get their act together and come up with something new to defend us, we're not going to be independent for much longer as we won't be able to repel any future attacks.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Both courtesy visits there shutter, not uninvited gun boat sabre rattling.

@7up 

Also 10 U.S. F-35s on board according to Reuters, and "will sail through the contested South China Sea, parts of which are claimed by China and South East Asian countries, on its way to the Philippine Sea. The ships will also stop in India and Singapore".

Sounds like fun.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Not been to China, though when I went to Australia and New Zealand years ago I stopped off in Singapore (way there) and Hong Kong (way back). I know Hong Kong is technically classed as a SAR (Special Administrative Region) of China. Technically now, it is not independent although it is really. It has its own government and is not doing bad for itself. China can step in, but haven't done so yet. Not doing bad for itself economically, so they are not going to interfere.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Alex wrote:

China can step in, but haven't done so yet. Not doing bad for itself economically, so they are not going to interfere.

Obviously, you have not been keeping up with events out there.....  here is one of the latest reports

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/chinas-crackdown-in-hong-kong-has-reached-a-...

another one from earlier this year.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hongkong-security-democracy-idUSKBN29H0E8

Use "Google search" for " China Crackdown on Hong Kong"  

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=china+crackdown+on+hong+kong&ei=v6WsYIiNCYyM8gKarbiIBQ&start=10&sa...