cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An old guys observation

Rapthorne
Rising Star

Re: An old guys observation

The nature of nationwide rollouts of projects like the new billing update means there are many thousands of potential points of failure.
Technology is amazing when billions of pounds of R&D and thousands of hours of dedicated manpower is poured in to a single purpose, (mobile communications, missile systems, etc) and even then there were many failures before any form of success was seen, but 99% of the time, things aren't that simple or easy. Anyone who has ever worked in software any any scale, from hobbyist to commercial scale, will be able to confirm that Smiley

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4GHz
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1060 6GB
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
Case: Red/Black NZXT S340 Elite
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

But @Rapthorne, that is the whole point of the Product Requirements and Functional Specification documentation, if any of these phases, of any project, doesn’t fully encapsulate the project requirements then the finished product, regardless of who develops it, won’t do, or at worse, do badly, what the users expect it to.

Rapthorne
Rising Star

The problem is one of the many issues of coding.

There are many issues that simply do not come to light until the product is deployed on a large scale, despite extensive testing.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4GHz
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1060 6GB
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
Case: Red/Black NZXT S340 Elite
Community Veteran

@Rapthorne wrote:

I don't quite get that you mean by this, the code is written to match the Functional Specification and if that is wrong then so will the code produced.

arjay
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Rapthorne wrote:

Computer says no Wink

VileReynard
Champion
Fixes: 16

Major failings are due to the customer asking for "minor" modifications halfway through.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran

This can be the case @VileReynard and the impact of these modifications can sometimes be detrimental depending on the methodology used within the project i.e. Waterfall -v- Agile

Community Veteran

Having said the above, regardless of how well the Project is managed and the Software developed, there is simply no reason why the new billing system went into production.

It either implies excessive pressure from management and or a serious lack of testing. Regardless of why heads should have rolled as far as I’m concerned, I for one would have done a Lord Sugar on them.

VileReynard
Champion

Almost certainly an outsourced fixed price deal.

arjay
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@VileReynard wrote:

Major failings are due to the customer asking for "minor" modifications halfway through.

I suppose It's my fault for trying to save a few quid on my pension (just a minor detail) Tongue

I was told when upgrading that removing the eve/weekend calls charge at a later date would be no problem, was that in fact a porkie. Does this mean I can't take PN at it's word? Angry

Luzern
Champion
Fixes: 5

@VileReynard wrote:

@VileReynardWhat about lack of clarity in expression of requirements, and not covering them to and beyond expected use?There's also the matter of interpretation between client and producer.

I write as a layman, but I know how difficult it can be talking to my highly technical son-i-L.  Long ago someone told me, 'everything should be tested beyond its expected limits.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
VileReynard
Champion

I noticed that referrals didn't seem to be properly handled for the first couple of months.

One of the difficult-to-test things is the initial data load (from the ancient system) into the new system; its very difficult to test, because its a one-off task. It probably included some manual data entry, due to the horrible unstructured nature of the old system.

The only way they should have done this, which would be expensive, is to run the old system and the new system in parallel for a couple of months. Until samples of both systems matched, the new system shouldn't have gone live.