Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An old guys observation

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: An old guys observation

@Champnet

Interesting you mention Horace Batchelor.........he claimed that his wall was full of cheques from winning on the pools, clearly such cheques must have been for small sum of money and not worth banking.

I wonder if he ever got a big win or was he just using fixed odds ?

Even in this world of powerful computers it would still be a impossible task to develop a program that could predict a pools win but I guess it may be able to reduce the odds ?

YorkshirePud82
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Funny enough i came on the plusnet site today just to see how things were progressing with the billing system saga. Seems that sam and frodo can make it to mordor quicker on foot.

To backup what the OP has said I'm 36 and have been fortunate to grow up with this technology but I'm also experienced in a time before it as well. And i also spent time as a computer engineer for 5 years.

So i am struggling to understand why this is suck a farce for plusnet and why there has been NO official updates or news either on this forum or to affected customers directly.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

@gleneagles - You could build a model that could have a reasonable guess at the pools score but in order for it to be accurate you’d need a very large data set containing all sorts of information about the teams. This would include their scoring history and not just against the team they are playing now but for all games going as far back as you possibly could.

You would also need to tell it what players were in the team and their individual goal history against each time in the league including the time into the game when the goal was scored. I could go on but…

Community Veteran

@Mook

Now if you are ever stuck for something to do this might be an ideal project....

Wink

Community Veteran

@YorkshirePud82

I guess the answer to your question is that PN are unable to answer the question.

The word, 'Fire fighting' comes to mind.

Community Veteran

Doing the maths isn't the issue as it simply amounts to the probability of each player scoring a goal(s) the real issue is getting the data, you'd need years worth of history for each team and each player. A Player might be better at scoring goals when there is a 3.30 p.m. kick off and it's the raining! But only the data can tell you this.

Fixes: 198

@Champnet wrote:

Thanks to Horace Batchelor we all learnt how to spell  Keynsham.....

But it was years later that I found Bristle while travelling down the M5 and saw a sign for Bristol.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 65.0.1 (64-bit)

arjay
Rising Star

Dick Barton with Jock and Snowie. Paul Temple. Billy Cotton’s band show. Arthur Askey. Palm Court Orchestra. Evil Saturday Night Theatre, Wilfrid Pickles, “give him the money Barney” with Mabel at the table and Violet Carson (Ena Sharples) at the joanna. ITMA, “can I do you now sir” and  so much more.

Of course you youngsters wouldn’t remember them Laugh

arjay
Rising Star

An uncle of mine kept all the dog races and results out of the Evening Standard for years. Spreading them out on the table he would scan them all before choosing his selection for Harringay or whatever dog track. He didn’t become rich, perhaps not even breaking even. His eldest son became a statistician, earning an OBE for doing his job, but I don’t think he ever came up with a better system for doing the dog’s

Fixes: 198

I've been listening to Al Read, a character from my young days.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 65.0.1 (64-bit)

YorkshirePud82
Grafter
Fixes: 1

strangely my latest bill has literally just dropped today....

and its correct. It now reflects the correct price.

strange days indeed.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Most people have heard, of, and listened to...... "The Spice Girls".... and many people enjoyed their voices, however,.....

My favourite girl group was "The Ovalteenies"..... Smiley

I was going to spell it in the products fashion.... "Ovaltine",... but todays yoof, would read it as the "oval tinies"... Shocked

Community Veteran

Spice Girls Mmm, I found that the best bit about all their albums was the bits between each track.

Community Veteran

@YorkshirePud82 wrote:

strangely my latest bill has literally just dropped today....

and its correct. It now reflects the correct price.

strange days indeed.

Frame it !

I guess there are a few others who would like one of those.

Cheesy

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 8

Back in the 80s I had several football prediction programs for my ZX-Spectrum (48K of course!) .  One would work out which fixed odds bets were generously priced; I'd feed the information into the Speccy and after about twenty minutes of number crunching it would list all the matches in order of value for money.  The program that did best was one where you could work out the most likely home wins; Zetters Pools did at the time have a section on their coupon where you had to bet on a number of so-called Super Homes, i.e. where the home team won by three or more clear goals.

Cheques for small wins could be cashed over the counter at one of the High Street banks, and the cashier at my local branch used to comment, "I won't ask how you'd like the money" when I on occasions presented a cheque for 20p.