cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An old guys observation

arjay
Rising Star

An old guys observation

I’m 81, modern technology never ceases to astound me. There are so many things I can do that are beyond my comprehension. Talk to someone on the phone or on my laptop whilst actually looking at them is now small beer. Computers flying aerodynamically unstable aircraft at hundreds of miles an hour? No probs. Send a missile half way round the world and hit a target within 5 metres? You betcha. Send a satellite to the outer reaches of the solar system and get messages back? Easy peasy. The things of today were the stuff of science fiction when I was a lad, a man on the moon?…..never! I worked with the first commercial computer in the country, I now have more processing power in my laptop than that monster had with all it’s cabinets full of valves.

A  smooth change over to a new billing system,? nah mate can’t be done, are you out of your tiny mind, wot planet are you on? Where would we all be if things ran smoothly?

56 REPLIES 56
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: An old guys observation

@arjay wrote:A  smooth change over to a new billing system,? nah mate can’t be done, are you out of your tiny mind, wot planet are you on? Where would we all be if things ran smoothly?

Yes back in the day a secretary would have fixed any errors in seconds with a stroke of her pen and a rummage in the office cash box.

Now things are so much more faster and efficient.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@arjay Yeah,  loads of stuff like that.... Me? I`m having a conversation with a stranger, who lives in Jakarta, Indonesia, we are using Morse Code, over the internet...... just like it used to be, when Morse was "the thing". ! ! !

RobC
Aspiring Pro

-.-. --- --- .-..

-... ..- -

.--. .-.. ..- ... -. . - / .- .-. . /[-Censored-]

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

Now now @RobC, but I do agree Grin

Fixes: 220

They have their ups and downs @RobC.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 66.0.1 (64-bit)

Community Veteran

@RobC   Aw!  C`mon.... you`ve only been here 3 years.....

"Give `em time,...... they`ll get there "   ! ! !  Roll eyes

Community Veteran

I'm sure they'll bounce back.

Like their cheques.

arjay
Rising Star

@billnotben wrote:

Yes back in the day a secretary would have fixed any errors in seconds with a stroke of her pen and a rummage in the office cash box.

Now things are so much more faster and efficient.

How right you are billnotben. When that sooper dooper compooter got too hot it just gave up, so it was back to the ballpoint, an eraser and a pencil, everything got out on time and there weren’t sheets of errors to sort out. That’s progress for you Roll eyes

arjay
Rising Star

@shutter wrote:

@arjay Yeah,  loads of stuff like that.... Me? I`m having a conversation with a stranger, who lives in Jakarta, Indonesia, we are using Morse Code, over the internet...... just like it used to be, when Morse was "the thing". ! ! !

Do they do morse code in foreign languages Funny

Community Veteran

@arjay Yes.Roll eyes

There are several diffferent languages in Morse Code...

The russians use the Cryllic , Japanese have their own morse code, The Chinese, too,... 

Even the original Morse Code was a separate language, commonly referred to as "american" or "railroad" morse code...

Various languages have "odd" letters that are not covered in the International Morse Code.

Generally, it is the International version that is commonly used across different language areas, so it is no problem understanding. The common language is English, however, German`s communicate in German,... Italians, in Italian, Spanish in spanish, etc..

When the Morse Code was first used, across the american continent, and eventually across the seas by undersea cables, that was the most efficient and quickest way to pass information between countries, and consequently, the Internet was born, ...

this current version of the internet is but an "upgrade" on the orignal version over 100 years ago.

Having said that, it still uses copper wires, and undersea cables to many parts of the world.

However, I have made contacts using the internet, and satellite communication  to ships at sea, and also to a commercial passenger aircraft crossing from Hong Kong, to Seattle, at 530mph, and 36,000 ft...

Oh ,... and another exceptional contact was made to a japanese guy, who was on the Japanese bullet train, going to work, at Fukushima, from his home in Tokyo,...

. which kinda puts to shade, the contact I had with the american guy, going to work on his local bus service ! ! .

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

@RobC wrote:

-.-. --- --- .-..

-... ..- -

.--. .-.. ..- ... -. . - / .- .-. . / [-Censored-]

Well the language police missed that one!Shocked 

Confession, dashed dotty as I am, Never learned morse, so that to use an online translator.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

Nah; We don't miss a trick Wink

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
arjay
Rising Star

@shutter wrote:

@arjay Yes.Roll eyes

There are several diffferent languages in Morse Code...

Well that's me told and I thought I was being clever Embarrassed Smiley We learn something every day. It's very interesting shutter, not knowing the sort of person you're going to contact next and what part of the world they are from. A bit like a lucky dip with every dip a bonus

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Many years ago since I last used morse but I never recall having contact with a single person who was abusive or argumentative and all were interesting people to talk to.

These days the other forms of communication such as facebook, instagram, and in some internet forums a number of people seem to find delight in being critical of others.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

Many years ago since I last used morse but I never recall having contact with a single person who was abusive or argumentative and all were interesting people to talk to.

It was much the same back in the day on old dial-up bulletin boards.

I wonder if it's down to the effort involved in connecting?

Little effort little care.