Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An odd bird at the feeder...

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 24

An odd bird at the feeder...

...with whiskers but no wings.  😃

Provided a little excitement for the cat, staring up from ground level while the mouse chomped away on the suet ball.

Spoiler alert: it got away.

She's having quite a week - the other day she was totally befuddled on seeing her first squirrel.

Img_2950.jpg

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Fixes: 459

Re: An odd bird at the feeder...

My cat came in the other day with a Sparrow she had caught.

I found her sitting at the top of the stairs with the prize in her mouth.

She meowed at me and the Sparrow escaped, flying past me as I ducked, into the living room and out of the back window.

Last seen heading south east at speed over the tree tops.

One lucky Sparrow.

Incidentally I have had 6 bird-strikes on my downstairs rear windows this year so far, a higher number than normal.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Strat wrote:

Incidentally I have had 6 bird-strikes on my downstairs rear windows this year so far, a higher number than normal.

I use to get a fair number of birds hit the conservatory windows, flying low over the fences at the rear of the houses and presumably because they could see the fence on the other side of the conservatory (glass both sides), would fly direct into the window. I've found a few dead over the years 😐 Easy solved though. I just put a sticker (sunflower) on the glass. Haven't had one since. 😁

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

The Birds always seem to leave a dust imprint on the glass.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Had a few birds hit the living room window here, the biggest being a collared dove, that was quite the thud, and the poor thing died as a result, but the cutest one was a Gold Crest, it was quite stunned when I picked it up (to save it from the cats), and looked like it had a bit of a headache for a while, took its time to recover, but it eventually disappeared into the Elder bush to have a sit somewhere away from humans...

GoldCrest.jpg

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@idonno wrote:

@Strat wrote:

I just put a sticker (sunflower) on the glass. Haven't had one since. 😁

Until we are fully out of the EU you need a warning sign in all EU languages, English on its own won't do, with or without accompanying sunflower, not even pidgin English.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Jonpe wrote:

not even pidgin English.

should that be pigeon English ?

We have a couple of feeder poles and as well as the steel mesh squirrel proof cages around the feeder have some half-sphere plastic shields actually on the pole - this stops squirrels and anything else that wants to climb the poles.

https://www.birdfood.co.uk/squirrel-guard

You can also use 'slinky' - a lot cheaper than the plastic spherical shield and maybe more fun..

https://youtu.be/cSGer1mi1Aw ( there are other 'slinky vs squirrel' videos on youtube ).

I think having a sparrowhawk in the area can make birds fly into windows,  they are that desperate to get away they maybe see the window ( probably with trees or bushes reflected in it ) as an escape route.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@wotsup wrote:

@Jonpe wrote:

not even pidgin English.

should that be pigeon English ?

🤣 🤣 🤣 ... You can learn it very easily

Funny enough when I was out in Singapore, there was real concern at the direction that the English language was going. Something called Singlish. Probably far worse by now. At least before you understood them. Now, it just shrug your shoulders. No comprendo.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?