cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An expression of time

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

An expression of time

How do you express time? For the last 20/25 years I've had jobs that operated using the 24 hour clock, and always use it automatically if asked the time. But i distinctly remember my Mum when expressing 25 minutes to or after the hour as; "five and twenty to" (or past) the hour, never "twenty five to" (or past) as I think most people would do.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: An expression of time

My Mum and Dad used the 'five and twenty' but I never understood while particularly.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

cause they normally only had twenty fingers and toes to count on - silly
Community Veteran

A lot depends on what watch or clock you use. If you use a digital watch then you tend to say 12:25 because thats the time you see. If you have analogue then its 25 past 12. You also tend the get the difference if its 12:27 digital will say 12:27 but a normal clock you cant see the mins so you say 12:25 or nearly 12:30.
I cant remember what it used to be in the navy something about 8 bells?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If you  heard 8 bells at 12:30, then either the Quartermaster`s watch was wrong, or yours was,  Shocked
8 bells signifies the start (or end) of a watch..... usually 4 hours, except the two "dog watches" between 16:00 and 18:00 (the first dog) and 18:00 and 20:00  (the last dog)   Watchkeeping commences at the "hour", and each half hour, a bell is sounded, adding an extra bell progressively throughout the watch.
Fixes: 47

Go on I've got to ask......why 'dog watch'?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The dog watches were brought in, so that the regularity of watchkeeping was broken, ensuring that you did not keep on doing the "middle watch"  (00:01 to 0400) and subsequent watches every 24 hour period...... they were originally called the "dodge watch" and this was because it was only half a watch, it eventually became known as the dog watch...... another example of senior ratings, belittling junior ratings, with their lack of knowledge/experience is.......  "you don`t know what it`s like, you`ve only been "in" a dog`s watch....."   i.e. a short period of time...
having dog watches also enables a ship, running a two watch system, to feed the crew at about the same time in the evening, i.e.between 17:00 and 19:00   the "last dog" watchkeepers, eating before they went on watch, and the "first dog" watchkeepers eating as they came off watch
Hope that helps, Strat !
StickyMick
Grafter

They use the "five and twenty" a lot here where I live. I'm used to both 24hr and 12hr. Whereas with my dad it's always "chocolate time" Roll eyes Tongue
But consider this: "Time flies like an arrow.......and fruit flies like a banana" Tongue
itsme
Grafter

a few years ago I did 10 days on a Tall Ship and I believe that they deviated from the standed watches for breakfast. Believe that the morning watch finished half hour earlier, with the forenoon watch starting earlier. Can remember that one day is long with 2 full watches and one dog watch, 10 hours in 24 hours.
Edit: Just worked it out the longest day consisted of 3 full watches. Middle, Afternoon and First watches.
Community Veteran

Wouldn`t like to have been on that watchkeeping rota.  Sad  Sad ...... middle , afternoon, and first...... Huh

Naval watchkeeping is....... afternoon,  then middle, then first.... this gives the middle watch almost a whole day to sleep and recover from their midnite to 4am watch....! ! Smiley
Community Veteran

As an after-thought.... now I am "ashore"... I use the 12 hour clock when talking to people, but use the 24 hour clock on my calendar, and usually it is twenty five past or twenty five too...... very occasionally will I revert back to "northern" time  of 5 and 20 ......
Community Veteran

It's been 30 years since I was in the Navy. Do they still actively use these names - or do they just use the 24 hour clock ?Huh
I nearly always use the 24 hour clock when writing - but sometimes use the 12 hour clock when talking.
Community Veteran

Likewise, (37 years ago)..... I suspect the watch names still survive, and probably the Port & Starboard watch divisions too!..... 1st part of Port watch , 2nd part of Port watch, and similar for Starboard watch...
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
Wouldn`t like to have been on that watchkeeping rota.      ...... middle , afternoon, and first......

Naval watchkeeping is....... afternoon,  then middle, then first.... this gives the middle watch almost a whole day to sleep and recover from their midnite to 4am watch....! ! 

I think that I right for a 3 watch system, me being a civvy my day start at midnight not 20:00 so if the standard 3 divisions is studied team 2 on day 1 does the 00:00 to 04:00 and 12:00 to 16:00 and then 20:00 to 00:00 on day 2.