cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Interesting Form of Transport

Community Veteran

An Interesting Form of Transport

I was going to say will it take off but it already has.
Future Transport
Interesting concept.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: An Interesting Form of Transport

Check the url.... just got a white screen with the youtube url at the top...  Wink
Community Veteran

Working OK for me.
Community Veteran

Cry Cry Cry  not for me.... and I have checked you tube for video playing and music vids play ok on my machine...
Community Veteran

Try this:

>
Community Veteran

Nope ! ! ....
But this one does 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCnn9z5wuBQ
Community Veteran

Watching that all I was thinking was it may be a four seater but getting in and out looks a bit problematical.
Community Veteran

billnotben, yeah, that's what i was thinking.  i began to balk a bit when i realised that it was all cgi.  it's impressive as a concept and i'll be interested to see how it develops.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Nope ! ! ....
But this one does 
https://www.youtube.com/watchv=jCnn9z5wuBQ

Dreadful!!
Looks like the problem could be you - others seem to have got there Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben
Watching that all I was thinking was it may be a four seater but getting in and out looks a bit problematical.

As do the blades folding up when the propellor shaft is dropping down to the horizontal position:

Anyone who's had a handheld battery fan with those blades will appreciate that the blades will fall down towards the ground as the main mounting is becoming horizontal. Now you could fix that by using electric magnetism but then you'd have nice rusting propeller blades and a lot of weight. So.. aluminium.. but that doesn't work with magnets.. So plastic with metal weights in the end.. Great.. but you would have to have a way of adjusting that weight so the blades balance perfectly... and plastic isn't terribly strong either.
Brilliant idea, i just see those prop blades as being a bit of a pain to get working.. and that usually means expensive / out of reach of the masses and thus not making much difference.
and then there's getting in and out... that revolving barrel at the bottom that hides the propeller when out of use, the retracting wheels (and rather complex shock absorbers / lack of ground clearance...
Not to mention.. what happens if you have a minor crash into another car when you're 300 miles away from home? - Unlike a car you can't use duct tape and just fly home, you'd be stranded - unless body panels were available in every supermarket.
The traditional boot looks like its gone too so bang goes the storage for all the heavy shopping and tools. On that note, how is a little car engine seriously going to recharge a battery that holds 1MW of power? - and more to the point, where are we going to get that sort of battery from that is light enough to fly?

Great idea and i think it's truly briiliant as a concept but i can't really see it working. I'd take it a lot more seriously though if there was a working prototype..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Are they still trying to peddle flying cars? Ain't going to happen while the air is controlled by the gubbernment... Grin
Community Veteran

Oh you'd be surprised how relaxed they can be about new startup aircraft designs taking to the skies these days. As long as it's made by a successful looking / sounding company they'll let almost anything off the ground. Facebook have been trialling their super wifi spreading drone around the UK recently. Government approved, lack of flight testing or safety records, completely new parts that have no reliability ratings etc.. yet because it's facebook they're allowed to put it into the skies above our heads and risk our lives. The thing has a wingspan similar to a 747 i think the article said so if that came down on your home you're pretty stuffed.
But you try doing it as an amateur and you're going to get yourself behind bars. Trouble is these days that drones and radio controlled aircraft have been merged into the same thing and yet there is a BIG difference. Drones have onboard computer systems for navigation and flight control that happens autonomously - acting as a drone. Now if it is radio controlled with no automation but has a camera on board it is also a drone. Soon it will be a drone even if it has no camera at all. It used to be a fun hobby once, now it's becoming very restricted.
As for flying cars, while the idea is great, i just don't see them being practical. Too much weight, not enough energy supply (unless using a normal car engine but i'd doubt that could provide power for VTOL). Even then you're going to run into trouble with medical problems, people trying to land / take off on the roads between vehicles and all sorts of other things.
Community Veteran

I've not heard that they are flying these devices in the UK.  Neither have I heard of a wing span which is that of a 747.  It would be totally impractical to use - where could it land Undecided
Fixes: 125

Flying cars; bah humbug Angry
Maybe once people have got to grips with safe driving on the ground - as if that'll ever happen Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I've not heard that they are flying these devices in the UK.  Neither have I heard of a wing span which is that of a 747.  It would be totally impractical to use - where could it land Undecided

Hah! For once i'm a step ahead of you and you can't argue it  Tongue (though i got the wingspan wrong - 737 - but it still had two 7s in it!)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/media/11499142/Facebook-completes-first-drone-flight-above-UK-Mark-Z...
That story confirmed the first test flight.. there have been more since. You know everything about everything and everyone, i'm sure you'll find the rest.
As for where it can land, i don't really see that being an issue when you have billions of funds. RAF bases, small airports etc. It's supposedly very light so wouldn't take a lot of effort to get off the ground anyway (or have much momentum when it lands).
As for being impractical to land, the UK government would disagree with you artmo - otherwise they'd not be allowing it to fly here.
Either way it's still gonna hurt if it falls on your house.
Trust me Mav, it really isn't as bad as your early memories - and i used to live in a shadow of fear about anything medical.