cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amy's Gold

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Amy's Gold

Congratulations to Amy Williams on her Skeleton Bob gold medal at the Winter Olympics.
Wasn't it nice to see someone so genuinely happy and bright with their success, and, seemed popular with her competitors too.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
20 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Amy's Gold

Yes, it is wonderful to hear that we have a Gold.
But, what an amazing and terifying event - deserves more than gold for sliding down that ice track on a tin tray!!
Community Veteran

Absolutely, a great performance Smiley.  Just seen her get her medal on TV.  Well done.  Our last solo Gold in the Winter Olympics was in 1980 when Robin Cousins won in skating.
Community Veteran

Not only congratulations. Amy has to be a sport marketing man's dream come true. She's very attractive, a lovely smile and obviously bubbly with it.
Sadly unlike the men's figure skaters, where there is some bitterness over the result.
Lot of crashes in the two-man bob as well, including unfortunately the GB1 team.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

But as an amateur would Amy be able to capitalise on her win?  Didn't I hear her say she was looking ahead to the next Olympics? 
itsme
Grafter

Amateur? No sports nowadays are limited to amateurs, I believe Swimming was the last to have an amateur only limitation.

Edit:
Just did a bit of research and Boxing is the only Olympic sport that still has to be amateur.
Community Veteran

Thanks for that itsme, I didn't know Embarrassed
itsme
Grafter

When the Olympics were 'amateur' there were some dubious ways to get around it. From memory there was an agrument that in 3 day eventing in the Summer Olympics the rider was amateur as the horse wins the money.
Community Veteran

With respect itsme and with no uncalled for snobbery, 3 day eventing is hardly practiced by impoverished enthusiasts. Any equine sport or pass-time requires vast amounts of money to participate, which is why the majority of its "players" come from very wealthy families.

itsme
Grafter

I would say that skiing is far more expensive sport to do then 3-day eventing. It's the owner of the horse that has the expenses, not the rider. So the rider just has to turn up and ride the horse, whether for practise or competition.
community
Grafter

Just before we lose the thread of this thread ( Smiley
I would like to say that amy should be awarded not a gold medal but a platinum same.
This has been a humungous achievement.
Community Veteran

She should most definitely be awarded an honour by the Queen.
Community Veteran

Of course I congratulate the young lady, but this business of giving Olympic gold winners, Knighthoods, Dame etc - i think is OTT.
Community Veteran

A few grumpy posts from you today mal.  Has someone upset you Wink
Community Veteran

Not somebody - but there are issues which a few people here know about - sorry.
[edit - no problem - friendly PM sent  [/edit]