cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amish: Worlds squarest teenagers: should i join them? lol

thisoldman
Grafter

Amish: Worlds squarest teenagers: should i join them? lol

I have sadly been watching with amazement the tv programme about the Amish teenagers sent to the uk to experience life in our decadent society and the more of the programme i saw, i began to think it would be good to live in an amish community with no sex no phones no xbox, no drinking.no fags etc etc.

Would any of you decadent plus netters  fancy living in an amish community?
7 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Amish: Worlds squarest teenagers: should i join them? lol

Nope I would'nt last two minutes Cheesy
Not my way of living and this seems wrong to me!!
Some high-profile cases have focused attention on the sexual abuse perpetrated upon Amish children. In a few isolated areas it has been called "almost a plague in some communities."[107] Because Amish Bishops mete out punishment for sins, (generally in the form of shunning), they keep discipline within the authority of the church; thus, sexual abuse may be less often reported to law enforcement. Since men dominate their society, women and children who have been mistreated have little recourse. They themselves may be shunned for seeking outside help. Mary Byler was allegedly raped more than a hundred times between the ages of 8 and 14 by her brothers, and then she was excommunicated and shunned for reporting her abusers.[108] The Amish community recently started to address the issue of abuse awareness. The Amish publisher Pathway Publishers ran several series in the magazine Family Life  that touch upon the subjects of sexual and physical abuse. They have also distributed, free of charge, resources for abused persons, and for their families. Some Amish have objected to the articles, preferring that the subject not be raised, claiming these problems exist only among the "English".[109]
N/A

I only watched a few minutes of the opening episode but did not persist with it.
I think that it is very tempting to see this sort of lifestyle and assume that everything is paradise in comparison to our own society.
Without condoning the quote above (the validity of of which I am not certain), I would say that every culture/sect has its negative aspects.
This particular one is very inward-looking and such exclusivity is not healthy in my view. 
A while ago I read that a number of their young people are leaving the community in search of freedom and freedom of expression.
On the surface it looks like there really isn't a choice in life - you are born, married (into the same sect) and die all in the same place with no variety.
I wonder what they do with people who are 'different', e.g. those who don't want to be married and have children, homosexual people, and those who wish to pursue a life path that is proscribed by the organization?
Also, on the surface it does look rather as if it is a male-dominated society and if it is I wouldn't last two minutes in it either!  Roll eyes
thisoldman
Grafter

very well expressed poppy  many thanks.  i will stick tae ma wee lunatic village
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Its a very male dominated society poppy your correct.
thisoldman
Grafter

i wonder whay they do when they need to see a doctor. 

Iv just come from my bad tempered ignoramous gp.
to all my questions he kept on saying    i dont know
i asked him politely  what the f  do you know

he said i know its time for you to leave the surgery Smiley
thisoldman
Grafter

thank god  no one showed the amish teens the internet or the plus net forum chit chat pages. They would have fainted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

They couldn't do that - it's against the Human Rights Act (cruel and unusual punishment)