cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Americanisms

Fixes: 47

Americanisms

I just read this post where the Americans call both petrol and natural gas, gas.
Apparently it is understood which one a person is talking about by context.
So which substance was involved in a gas station (petrol station) explosion which has a gas cooker. Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Americanisms

Hate to think what they run their gas fires on ! !  Cheesy
Community Veteran

@Strat, you are right, the Americans have no problem identifying what they are meaning.  Smiley
Community Veteran

It was George Bernard Shaw who stated England and America were 'Two nations separated by a common language' and how true this is Smiley
Community Veteran

Your average spell-checker seems always to come from an American source, even if the gear actually comes from China! It is amazing how much effort is required to make them understand proper English!! My own extra problem is making it understand the Welsh words used in addresses etc., as well. 
Community Veteran

These colonials still have problems with the language!  Roll eyes
Geoff,
York.

I never really thought of Welsh people as colonials...but I suppose you are right.
Community Veteran

Smiley Smiley Smiley
It's funny that the English have a hang-up on Americanisms but the Americans simply accept the differences and get on with it.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

From Research done a while back.....
On July 4, 1776, the 13 American Colonies declared their independence from Great Britain.
Cultural independence followed the political. In 1783 Noah Webster, the first American lexicographer, began reforming certain spellings and (like George Bernard Shaw a century later) advocated further changes.
French-derived spellings — like "honour," "catalogue," and "centre" — were Anglicized to honor, catalog, and center.
In words where the "s" sounded like "z" or the "c" like an "s," the letters followed the sound: realize, defense, and so forth.
http://www.protrainco.com/essays/us-brit.htm
British, Canadian and American Spelling
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: Strat
I just read this post where the Americans call both petrol and natural gas, gas.
Apparently it is understood which one a person is talking about by context.
So which substance was involved in a gas station (petrol station) explosion which has a gas cooker. Undecided

I wonder what they made of Jumpin' Jack Flash !!!
I was raised by a toothless, bearded hag,
I was schooled with a strap right across my back
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!
But it's all right, I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's a gas, gas, gas!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I wonder if the Americans have such a term as  'Englishisms'Huh?Huh
I'd prefer if the language spoken in the USA were referred to as 'American' rather than 'English' - there are enough differences to justify such a differentiation.
How many Americans have asked the question: 'What language do they speak in England?', I've see at least one example of this on the TV.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

'What language do they speak in England?', I've see at least one example of this on the TV.

Was actually asked that very question on my one and only trip!  Huh
Geoff,
York.

Of course there are a large number of native American languages none of which, to my knowledge are called American.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Wonder what % of Americans speak Spanish as a first language?
In etymology "False Friends" and how they have evolved are interesting. How two words in different languages look very similar yet have completely different meanings.
The classic example is the english embarrassed and the spanish embarazado, (which actually means 'pregnant').
A German ‘false friend” could be Beamer (english), meaning BMW in German, where as in German a  Bearmer (German word) is a Data Projector.
Community Veteran

I don't often post just links but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language_in_the_United_States
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.