cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American sitcoms...

Fixes: 121

American sitcoms...

I have a dislike of sitcoms from the states with very few catching my attention.
I find their humour to be too obvious and most, if not all, seem to have so much canned laughter almost like a prompt to the viewer.
I must be one of the few people who couldn't get into Friends Embarrassed
I did like Married with Children, Frazer and, occasionally Cheers, Happy Days and a few others but I don't think they're a patch on the likes of Only Fools and Horses, Keeping Up appearances, Man About the House, Coupling and many others.
SWMBO is really into Two and a Half Men, Two Broke Women and How I Met Your Mother all of which I fail to see the humour whereas she laughs out loud!
But one stands out for me at the moment which is Big Bang Theory which I find very funny.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES
Marksfish
Grafter

Re: American sitcoms...

+1 on Big Bang Theory . Two and a half men was okay when Charlie Sheene was in i, but became too "in your face" when the other bloke took over. Not sitcoms, but I did enjoy House and I like Grimm too.
Mark
All4One
Grafter

My other half watches all the meet your mother and cupcake girls shows and enjoys, I rarely watch.
I enjoy Big Bang Theory but it rarely makes me laugh, doesn't mean I don't enjoy it. Like you say, obviously humour, predicted etc.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I like a lot of the older pre-90s US sitcoms, the humour seems to flow better in those, the modern ones it's all forced, like they're scripting it to be "Here's a joke, now laugh at it or else", and it's just not funny...
I have a few canadian friends who get the best of both British and US sitcoms, and they said that the british ones are always funny, one even commenting on a relatively recent Channel 4 one (I forget the name of it) and they love it, so for people residing in the north american continent to say british comedy is better than US comedy, that says a lot... Grin