Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American accents and phrases

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

American accents and phrases

Just been on the phone to Netflix and got an American representative,  who hardly knew who to pronounce things on our side of the atlantic.  I gave her an email address and she assumed it was @skay when it was supposed to be @sky.  Next thing I wanted to cancel my trial membership she didn't know what I was talking about.  I told her I had a UK accent with a geordie tone.  She asked if I could pretend to speak american.  Well have been to america before so I could easily do it.  Why is it so difficult. Theatre is not spelt Theater.  Why is Car automobile?  And especially my favourite sandwich Peanut butter and Jelly (Jelly= Jam)  WHY!!!  If they speak english why is it not just original like us and Australians
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
29 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: American accents and phrases

Didn't you know the English language belongs to America and they kindly allow us and others to use.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I must say I have no problem with American accents.  I understand them and they seem to understand me Wink

Some take a bit more work than others.
Community Veteran

I agree with you there but they have the same problem with our different dialects.  Last week I was talking to a group from Newcastle and had to work hard initially to understand them Wink
itsme
Grafter

@Northeasterner believe you need to do more research on the English language. A car was not invented but an automobile was. Americans spell words more closely to how they are pronounced than the British spelling and I buy jelly from Sainsbury in the jams section.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I must admit to some sympathy for Americans with some of the more extreme accents found in the UK such as broad Gordie or some of the more remote Scottish areas <no malice intended, I think its great that we can retain our different accents and dialects rather than BBC English)
I used to have friends, a married couple, she was from Sunderland, he was from central areas of Newcastle (not exactly remote from each other). Even she had trouble understanding him. When he was in full flow I needed an interpreter.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shalom2010
Grafter

@Northeasterner You didn't say what part of the USA she came from - I think I would struggle with some American accents myself Smiley
Community Veteran

I agree with itsme.  Many American words are spelt in a straight forward way compared to the UK spelling.  The OP quoted theatre/theater.  Phonetically the latter is correct.

It's easier for them to change a word than learn it Wink
For example 'aluminium' is a bit too long for them to handle.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: NorthEasterner
Just been on the phone to Netflix and got an American representative,  who hardly knew who to pronounce things on our side of the atlantic.  I gave her an email address and she assumed it was @skay when it was supposed to be @sky.  Next thing I wanted to cancel my trial membership she didn't know what I was talking about.  I told her I had a UK accent with a geordie tone.  She asked if I could pretend to speak american.  Well have been to america before so I could easily do it.   Why is it so difficult. Theatre is not spelt Theater.  Why is Car automobile?  And especially my favourite sandwich Peanut butter and Jelly (Jelly= Jam)  WHY!!!  If they speak english why is it not just original like us and Australians

You're in the North East?
Where they call trousers pants...
Community Veteran

One word that always makes me laugh is lieutenant.  We have to give them it on this one.  For some reason we pronounce it with an 'f' in it which I've never understood Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Don't they say there more English speakers in China than in the UK? I wonder if they'll influence spellings ?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@artmo The argument is used that Lieutenant has been used in The British Isles since Norman days. So when the French codified army organisation during the Napoleonic era we kept our equally valid pronunciation (Lord Lieutenant of a county pre-dates any military rank)
More problematic is the Platoon which was a rip off of the French Peloton (as used in cycling)
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@PeterLoftus, thanks for that interesting bit of info Smiley