cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Gold Card referral - extra Membership Rewards

chuckster
Grafter

American Express Gold Card referral - extra Membership Rewards

If anyone is considering getting an Amex Gold Card follow the referral link below you'll get 22,000 Membership rewards instead of the usual 20,000.  You can then convert these to Avios or other travel points schemes to use as you like. 
The basic 20,000 points are enough for two return European flights with British Airways.
First year fee is waived - cancel before the first year is out (or negotiate another waiver)
Gotta spend £2000 in the first three months, so if you're making big purchases or on expenses with work that's a god time to consider.
Of course, read all the Ts&Cs beforehand.  Smiley
http://ebm.email.americanexpress.com/c/tag/hAAAAAAAQB6DpB8aFYUAAAAAA.AQB6Dp2N/doc.html?t_params=FNAM...
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: American Express Gold Card referral - extra Membership Rewards

As a retailler we hated Amex - they charged us almost double the fees that the other card issuers did.
On some sales we ended up making a loss. Not sure if they have changed their fees but out of principle I avoid them like the plague.
Community Veteran

Most retailers do.  They try to avoid AE if they can.  A few years ago Visa did a survey and found that anyone carrying an AE card always had either a Visa or Mastercard as well. Also remember after the first year you will be paying £125 per annum for the privilege of owning the card.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: artmo
. Also remember after the first year you will be paying £125 per annum for the privilege of owning the card.

Do you actually "own" the card then?  Not read their T&C`s but would have thought it said something like..... " The card remains the property of AMEX...... "
so really you are paying them to "look after" the card for them... !  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I used to travel internationally for a large financial organisation. The official company credit card for expenses was AMEX. The problem people found with AMEX  was that their customer service people were really aggressive in blocking their cards if payment by our company was at all late. This could easily happen if you were travelling a lot and were away from the central office and couldn't get your expenses claims in by the cut-off date  I always used to use a personal credit card, pay from my own bank account and claim back the expenses at a later date. I quite often had to use my credit card to rescue colleagues from hotels when AMEX blocked their company cards without warning and the hotel wouldn't let them leave. At other times my colleagues would be harassed by debt collecting calls from AMEX because the payment was late.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

Was it because you and the others were using AMEX charge card and not a credit card?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: itsme
... you and the others were using AMEX charge card and not a credit card?

I'm not sure to be honest Itsme. Mine was a normal personal credit card, though I did have a big limit to cope with the travel expenses and hotels etc. I used to pay off in full at the end of each month. I don't know whether it was a charge or credit card that my colleagues used to use. I just remember the aggressive actions from AMEX.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I don't think it makes a difference which AE card you have.  They apply this rule on them all.  Also you don't get a grace period with AE.  The full amount has to be paid at the end of the month.
itsme
Grafter

If you have to pay the full amount each month then it will not be a credit card  Shocked AMEX use to be only charge cards but a few years ago they started to do credit cards.
Community Veteran

Yes AE do both types of card.  The one referred to here is a charge card.
chuckster
Grafter

Yup, this one is a charge card so has to be paid off in full each month.
I also have a Mastercard, as well as my Visa Debit for those places that don't take Amex.
If you're in the position where you're in control of your spending, you can make all your purchases on cards like this, pay off in full every month and just reap the rewards they offer.
Community Veteran

I mainly use my Mastercard and have all my points converted into Avios.
@chuckster, in the link you gave do you earn from the referrals?
chuckster
Grafter

Yes, anyone referring gets bonus Membership Rewards also.  Bit like with PlusNet... Wink
Fixes: 125

Back in the late 90's (may have been early naughties) I had an American Express Blue credit card.
The interest rate was quite competitive and it had 1% cash back on all transactions (except balance transfers).
I closed it when they wouldn't raise the credit limit and got a VISA credit card with almost 4 times the limit. Didn't actually need it that high but at least it proved my creditworthiness Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've still got a Blue card which used to do 1% cashback, and I used to batter it and pay it off in full every month.
Stopped using it as in the last few years they changed the T&C's. The 1% on everything changed to 0.5% for the first £2000 then 1% after. They then upped that to around £3500. Then to further enhance my service they introduced a £20 fee if you don't use your card for a year, plus a minimum cashback amount of £12 (to get anything), which then increased to £25.
Suffice to say, not as good as it was. Was thinking of cancelling. Apart from I can't be bothered, I've got a 6 month recurring charge (to avoid the £20), and I like the fact the merchant fee is so high. So I'd use it to pay a fine or say the Congestion Tax (not had to yet).
If I didn't have a ex-Egg card which still pays 1% on everything (capped at £200), I would have got my 2k Annual Travelcard on it for that reason (I believe TfL still take Amex?). Wasn't much point as I may as well use the Barclaycard and get £20 out of it.