cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Election

Community Veteran

American Election

America elects a new President tomorrow.  It looks like it will go to the wire although Obama edged slightly ahead of Romney in the weekend polls.  The election will depend on the swing States.  These are like our marginal constituencies. The big prize to play for is Ohio which has 18 electoral votes.
It's going to be an interesting election and a very important one not only for America but the world as a whole.
Here's an overview of the situation at present:
State of the Parties
53 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: American Election

Are we really interested because I am not  Shocked
Fixes: 105

No matter who wins, the US will still think it's top dog and do what it wants... so no interest here
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

A lot of people are interested though.  The outcome could have an effect on us here as it will around the world.
Fixes: 105

Really? Apart from reduction in gaffes I see no difference between the last few presidents.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

With a change of US president, HM government usually spends an inordinate amount of effort reiterating the "special relationship" and having to get stuck into a useless no-win war before the US acknowledge it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
A lot of people are interested though.  The outcome could have an effect on us here as it will around the world.

Are you serious? America just thinks it can bully the rest of the world and that the rest of the world must do as it wants. Look at the UK.. always following in Americas shadow following its orders. I am still overwhelmed at the Gary McKinnon decision which is the only time we've ever stood up to them.
Obama is about the only US president I actually like. Under his power terrorism has gradually gone away and I think its plainly obvious that he's been secretly negotiating with the Taliban to calm it all down. Any other American president would think that dropping more bombs and annoying the rest of the world would be the answer and in fairness Barrack also sent his troops into Pakistan without invitation which only proves the point further.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The outcome of  the US Presidential Election is important to us in the UK but I cannot believe that there are large numbers here who wished to see months of speeches by the candidates filling the news bulletins. Let's face it not many of us would tune in to listen to our own politicians at party conferences (other than sound bites in the News). Last night the UK newspaper review on Sky was largely taken up with live transmissions from election gatherings especially featuring Stevie Wonder singing!
Closer to home are we to be treated to blanket coverage of the campaign trail in say Germany? If we don't get it how many people will be bothered?
Community Veteran

Not that I care a jot but Obama has to be the most ineffectual clod hopping US president for several decades.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

And that takes a bit of doing!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: billnotben
Not that I care a jot but Obama has to be the most ineffectual clod hopping US president for several decades.

Thought Dubya would easily win that contest. Cheesy
Community Veteran

Why do you think that Undecided
kdoug007
Grafter

I  couldnt  care  less !!!!!  but i will if  obama  looses.......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I think he's done a great job. Terrorism has dropped since he's come to power, America has started to calm down with its "Lets bomb anyone we don't like or has Oil" bullying tactic and suddenly despite still seeming stupid, they're a tad more respectable than they were under George.
I like Obama. He's not a warmonger but that won't bode well with american people who are blood thirsty. He's not declared war against any nation (although he's been left to clean up the Afghan / Taliban problem). George W wanted to create a new war every other week it seemed.
I don't think this other fella will be good (sorry no idea how to spell it). He's too arrogant and I think he's another war monger in disguise.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The name you're looking for is Mitt Romney.

The east coast of the US is 5 hours behind us here so voting has not been open long.  All the polls are very close giving Obama a slight lead in the swing States but all the polls are within the margin of error so anything can happen. An interesting day ahead.