Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazonitus

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Amazonitus

well the wail's case is clearly that its the former employee's and some well meaning do-gooders so theres no pre-judging the story my take is based purely on that article.
even if its a target driven job utilising technology to achieve things that's no different than anything else, it also ensures good stock management and minimises losses though any less than honest staff.
if the guy was moaning that his fag breaks were denied everyone would be saying well that's fair, all the supportive comments about the whole thing are based solely on the idea that its some super corporation that's big and mean and nasty, if that were truly the case nobody would work for them and they could use automated product handling for everything and unemploy the thousands of staff they have.
its far more a case of unsuitable workers leaving and having a case of sour grapes, I cant see any other reason to utilise the tax reports from a few years ago in support of the argument that amazon is evil when clearly that cant be the case or they wouldn't be able to employ anyone to do the job!
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

quote " Graduate Adam Littler, 23, said he walked up to 11 miles as he worked 10-and-a-half hour night shifts "
Well that's just over a mile a Hour. What's the average walking speed for someone in their 20s ? Sure he has to stop and pick things up but even so it does not seem excessive to me.
At least it's inside, I can imagine many other jobs far harder than that, lucky he is not a soldier for example who might not only be working more hours and walk further than this carrying a fair amount of gear but also putting his life on the line.
itsme
Grafter

So you expect these workers to walk 35 miles per shift?
nanotm
Pro

when I worked in a warehouse my daily average was a 14 hour shift (including a 30 min lunch break) and traversing 20+ miles, I did that job for 3 months and left because the place closed, otherwise i probably would of done it for years and the average picker in that place got paid less than 15k a year, there working shorter shifts and getting more money, I've been out in a farm job where I was paid less than 5k although it did have accommodation +food thrown in that lasted 6 months, on average I walked over 100 miles a week or else I was doing repair jobs like replacing old fencing, that was longer hours for far less money but it did have the benefits of a roof over your head and 3 square meals a day, (i gave it up because working up to 18 hours a day left me no time to do anything but sleep)
i don't expect people to kill themselves for a wage but moaning about a nice job that helps you keep fit in a temperature controlled environment seems like stupidity, perhaps if the moaners worked in some snow+ice +rain+windy smashing in fence posts they would appreciate such an easy job, but that's the problem with todays workforce, they have only known easy jobs and complain the second something seems strenuous
itsme
Grafter

Wait until the programme before making judgements. As someone that use to do 3x12 hour night shifts working nights is not the same as doing 12 hours in the day.
nanotm
Pro

and yet the article has already come out and should be judged on its own merits.
I've done shift work (as have an awful lot of people) and I don't see any distinction between night or day in terms of how hard you work, at night its far easier to be productive than during the day when the phone will ring and other things happen to distract, my last job involved a lot of shift work and the worst thing about it was alternating shift patterns, it would take you 3 days to get used to it every time (I couldn't understand the point of it to be honest static shift patterns would of been far easier) but that's life and you cope with the hand you deal yourself and any of the unexpected little twists and turns the road follows, those that stop around to publicly whinge are often not worth the time it takes to listen to them.....yet I wasted a few minutes of my life to read the article and comment on it, and unless the upcoming panorama program is actually different from there last attempt at vilifying amazon and the work undertaken in the warehouse(s) I cant see it making any difference to the last time there was an expose which cunningly enough was last year in the run up to Christmas when some union or other was making noises about needing higher pay or strike action would be taken ... cue the labour politician all over the news explaining why it was a good thing to disrupt everything at the busiest time of year using terrorism to force something that wasn't needed because a couple of people wanted it....
itsme
Grafter

and you probably disagree on the research on shift workers and the affect to health and on night workers reduced productivity. There is no evidence that night workers health is affected, these are workers permanently on nights.
nanotm
Pro

on a static shift where you work nights there is no reduced productivity, you might be a little slow off the mark for the first week as you get used to shift work but there shouldn't be any long term lack unless your a lazy person who hates there job, prolonged lack of daylight is well known to cause problems.
as to research into health problems with shift workers, I wouldn't believe it if it didn't make sense (which to be honest a lot of so called research doesn't) the large majority of so called research gets poo-pooed  by another later study largely because it didn't look widely or deeply enough in the first place but was done in earnest with a specific goal in mind.
real research takes at least a decade to produce viable results not the quick studies done by thesis groups at some university and published as if there a defacto standard in time for a the next funding round!
CX
Grafter

"We are machines, we are robots, we plug our scanner in, we're holding it, but we might as well be plugging it into ourselves", he said.

Give it a few years and there will be actual robots doing the job, without complaining.
nanotm
Pro

not until there total cost of ownership comes down in price though Smiley
Fixes: 365

I'm surprised they haven't got a fully automated storage and retrieval system such as RS Components.
Seems a bit archaic having people run around multiple floors with trolleys.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 72.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran

The programme didn't have anything new.  All the information was public knowledge earlier this year.
nanotm
Pro

robotic systems are great to a point, they cost a lot to setup, a single faulty unit can cease all productivity for hours and you still need to shut the whole place down to perform maintenance.
on top of that there's the problems of different sized items and all kinds of socio-economic factors to take into account, its cheaper to run a human staffed system and you get massive tax breaks for doing so even though it would work out cheaper over a 5 year period to run a purely mechanical one, but realistically if the wage costs rise to much it will force them to change over to a mechanical setup for the larger places, that will have upsides such as faster picking and packing, zero human error, and provided you get decent parts only routine maintenance would be required with a small team to provide it.
of course doing that means many thousands of people jobless which would be bad for the economy both locally and nationally, it also will mean less people spending as much on the products they sell (because of all the reduced wages).
all programs like this do is highlight the fact that wage salves are far better than fully automated workplaces, and if you cant hack the job move on without crying over it, theres always someone else willing to take the job Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

Won't be sending back the item that we ordered yesterday and that's out for delivery today.
Fixes: 365

Same here.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 72.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.