Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Amazon

I've been watching a graphic card for a new build I'm doing. Saturday night, the cheapest price was £465 (5 left), Sunday £525 !!!!, Monday £482 and today, £502 (4 left). I don't think I'll be buying it just yet. But I do wonder where they get these prices from. Plucked out of thin air maybe. Seems if you buy on a Sunday, you can expect to pay much more.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
12 REPLIES 12
Mook
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: Amazon

@idonno Check out https://camelcamelcamel.com to see what the price history of your item is and you'll maybe be able to get yourself a good deal.

PowerLee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you checked out the likes of CCL, Scan & Newegg for prices on the graphics card your after?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,138

Like @Mook always use the camels - you can add a price watch too
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I remember when graphics cards were affordable, which was just before the cryptocurrency mining boom started, ugh...

Stuck with my 750Ti cos even a 2nd hand card is just too expensive, some prices people ask for 9xx and 10xx series cards are silly, I could buy a whole used car for the money some of them want....... 🙄

PowerLee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Im still running a 2GB Nvida GeForce GTX 670 on my desktop pc.

AMD Phenom II X4 850 with 8GB ram.
Menace65
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

what gfx card?

I was looking for an upgrade from my GTX 1050 low profile, most of the cards I was intrested in were sold out.

Can't stand resellers..

Stay safe

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 177

@Mook wrote:

@idonno Check out https://camelcamelcamel.com to see what the price history of your item is and you'll maybe be able to get yourself a good deal.

So doesn't this apply to amazon.co.uk?  https://camelcamelcamel.com/blog/amazon-eu-covid-19

idonno
Aspiring Champion

@Mook  Can't say I have been there, I'll give the website a go. I'm always open to saving money. I've used Scan, CCL, Dabs  etc over the years. I'm hoping that when a newer version of the graphic card gets released, hopefully the price will come down a bit.

Edit: @Baldrick1  Apparently so. Seems Amazon have told them not to update prices. Oh well. I'll keep on looking.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@idonno 

Clear your cookies and connect (don't log in) via VPN and see what price you get. Then consider how badly you need that spec!

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@idonno wrote:

I've been watching a graphic card for a new build I'm doing. Saturday night, the cheapest price was £465 (5 left), Sunday £525 !!!!, Monday £482 and today, £502 (4 left). I don't think I'll be buying it just yet. But I do wonder where they get these prices from. Plucked out of thin air maybe. Seems if you buy on a Sunday, you can expect to pay much more.

@idonno 

Yes, Amazon prices do seem to go up and down like the proverbial Ws-Ds.

I've noticed that where multiple sellers of an item are listed, this can sometimes be explained by the 'cheapest' seller running out of stock so the next cheapest sellers price then becomes the headline price.  In reverse, when a cheaper seller obtains stock, you'll see the headline price drop.

I often wait until Amazon themselves get items back in stock after running out, because;

a)  They're usually the cheapest seller; and

b)  Items 'Dispatched and sold by Amazon' are generally less hassle to return should there be a problem.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Wow you lot moaning about the costs of graphics cards you can afford... some of us still use computers with onboard graphics lol

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
idonno
Aspiring Champion

@TeeGee wrote: Then consider how badly you need that spec!

Very true but essentially my current rig ( I7 - nearly 5 yrs old now) is going wholesale over to the son (apart from the NVMe drive). I did think about buying a cheaper PC for him but then I thought, what better excuse for a mega upgrade 😁 😁 😁.

Problem is, being at home with not much to do, once I started looking, it is easy to spend far more than what I thought I'd spend initially. Case of, why have this, when for only another £30 I can have that. I can tell you now, the money soon adds up 😮. Shockingly so.

But it isn't a got to be done by this weekend project. I've been buying the various bits over the past couple of months. I have toyed with putting the original graphic card back in with the I7 and then using the newer card (bought last year) in the new rig on a temporary basis. Once up and running, I might then start to think, as you say, do I really need the new spec.