Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon charges.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Amazon charges.

No big deal, but as always it's the principle with me.

Just noticed that Amazon have taken a single payment of £1 out of my account and I have absolutely no idea why. I could check with them but it would take a phone call (no email or other contact point that I can see) and quite frankly, unless it happens again I cannot be bothered to chase it up.

Any ideas?

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
13 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 73

Re: Amazon charges.

Have you tried logging in to your amazon account and looking at the orders section of your account? There should be a record of all sales done through amazon.
If you call them I guarantee that you will be speaking to someone within 2 minutes and problem resolved in less than 5. Everytime I have had dealings with amazon CS they have accomodated and resolved the issue pretty much right away. Had a package marked as delivered but was nowhere to be seen at my house - refunded right away. Problem with a toy that my toddler loves and it stopped making the sounds - they sent me a new one and told me not to worry about the broken one (this was a £50 plastic toy too!). Each of these were less than 10 minutes with very little fuss.
Personally, I would call them up and find out what it was.. maybe someone has got into your account and tested the water by buying something? You might not know unless you call up and put a stop to it.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 45

I see that quite often with Amazon when I have placed an order with them, I believe it's verifying the current payment method and will drop off eventually. Tesco take £2 the cheeky beggars Smiley
I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

ASDA takes £99 if you use their Card payment pumps Angry

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 73

They scrapped that £99 charge 5 days ago.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@jaread83

Thanks, that's an interesting thought about testing the water.

Have now found an email contact for them and will try that first and if no answer within a few days, I will definitely phone them. 

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman

I agree with @Browni (post #3), it's happened to me several times, but last time I saw it (about 2-3 weeks ago) it took 7-8 days to drop off my CC online statement.  In my case it doesn't show as added to the normal transactions, but as a pending transaction.

I wouldn't bother to contact them unless it doesn't drop off after a week or so.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

same experience here, pound transaction  indicated, it just stays pending for several days but is never actually taken

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
idonno
Rising Star

I had the same sort of thing happen with my bank account last year.

Something people need to be aware of, it even applies to failed transactions. I was trying to send some money abroad (£500 plus) and at the final approval state, the transaction failed. Thinking it was a browser problem I had another go. Still having problems getting it authenticated, I gave up. Later, logging on to my bank account I noticed the available spend wasn't the same as the account total. I contacted the bank, only to be told that every time a payment is requested out of an account, even if unsuccessful, the money is put aside to pay that payment. Result, there was over a £1000 that was untouchable - they could tell me when the block would fall off but couldn't do anything about it - took about 7 days.

Needless to say, I no longer use that company for money transfers abroad!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Just checked again with the Mrs (she does the accounts such as they are) and the amount has not actually been taken out, it's just 'pending'.

Advice appreciated guys, thanks. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Blimey that was a quick reply to my email from Amazon, I'm well impressed!

I am sorry to hear that there has been an unknown transaction of £1.00 on your account.

Please note that when you place an order with Amazon.co.uk or on Amazon.co.uk Marketplace, we contact your payment card's issuing bank to confirm that your card has a valid number, and has not been reported as lost or stolen. Your credit card company can verify that the card is valid, and that the amount of your transaction is available. If the card is valid, and the funds are available, the authorisation hold is placed.

Your credit card company may show the temporary authorisation hold on the funds after your transaction is completed. It can take several working days for them to process the void on this authorisation. The time will vary from one company to the next.

However, we do not proceed with the charge and the £1.00 will not appear as a charge on your credit card statement. This is a security measure that we use to protect our customers. This practise is widely used across the e-retail industry.

I'm sorry that this has been of concern to you. I would like to assure you that there is no intention of withdrawing any money other than at the time of dispatch.

So there you go. Thumbs Up

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Smug Mode: On Cheesy
I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Several decades ago I discovered that the available balance when I checked my Barclaycard at a Barclays cash dispenser, was much lower than expected.  When I contacted them, they explained that when I'd made a purchase (airline ticket in this case) the money was shown as owing on my account from the moment they'd authorised the payment.  When the actual payment went through the initial entry was removed, and it was this process that had failed in this case, causing my account to show that I owed twice as much as I did.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Funny

180505 bank.pngI was in the pub!