cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon assistant

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Amazon assistant

Been having trouble with this little blighter lately that sneaked in under the radar as it were and hid itself among my applications.

Searching for something to buy on the web (in this case a couple of new guitar picks) - and skidding to a stop across my screen comes an 'amazon assistant' box offering me the same item and sometimes at a higher price!

Really annoying and for the life of me could not find the extension in order to remove it but lo and behold, I found under my chrome extensions as removed it as follows. Mozilla and Firefox I guess do it differently. 

Open Google Chrome
Push Alt + F.
Click Tools.
Choose Extensions.
Find Amazon Assistant for Chrome.
Click the trash can icon to remove it.

Bye bye Amazon, bought them on ebay. 🙂

PS.

Reading last week that to have your stuff sold via Amazon there is something like a 30% mark up - which does make you wonder the true price of stuff and how some sellers make any profit at all. We work and live with what we have, but Amazon does strike me as some sort of feudal Lord retailer taking the lions share of any profit and much like robbing those serfs of old in return for whatever. They don't have to sell via Amazon or course and neither do we have to buy, but sometimes there is little choice when coming up against such a massive market leader and especially one that as said skids across your screen when looking for something.   

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
7 REPLIES 7
All Star

Re: Amazon assistant

You're worried about that and you're running Google Chrome Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

As you will know Amazon are planning to get into home deliveries of food, likely they will lose money but the aim is to take over the market forcing others out.

I know they have a few very large warehouses in various locations in this country but the business is registered In Luxembourg....? For tax purposes ?.....be interesting to see if any change takes place next year, following you know what.

Aspiring Legend

True @Mook but it works for me and better the devil you know eh. 

Well sort of anyway and besides which it's not only Chrome that application infiltrates... as far as I know.

And "you know what" @gleneagles?

Well once we are out I'm sure arguments will be over and we can all breathe the word Brexit once again.😉

Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman I think there is an echo on my laptopFunnyFunny

Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

Not a case of déjà vu then. 😉

Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman Theres no need to swear!!!!!Shocked

Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote:

Been having trouble with this little blighter lately that sneaked in under the radar as it were and hid itself among my applications.

They don't have to sell via Amazon or course and neither do we have to buy, but sometimes there is little choice when coming up against such a massive market leader and especially one that as said skids across your screen when looking for something.   

I tend to keep a tight rein on Amazon. But it is so easy to apply for Prime, assistant. But lately I tend to find a lot of deals elsewhere. Amazon isn't like it was - especially that £20 limit for free delivery.

I also don't tend to have any ads from anyone skating across the screen - that is an extremely rare event now. One reason I very rarely watch Youtube on the TV. Just didn't realise how many ads get blocked on the PC on vids that I like to watch.

I've even managed to do away with Google as a search engine as well. I gave DuckDuckGo a run but found that for the UK it was pretty naff - way to many USA hits (as if its the only country on the planet). Currently, running some French search engine. Qwant (basic). The basic version doesn't take over the home page etc.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?