cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon, & others local collection point for returns and orders.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Amazon, & others local collection point for returns and orders.

Impressed by a recent (New To Me) service provided by Amazon.
Used it today for the first time...
I had to return a faulty 32GB USB stick, and was resigned to a long queue at the local post office, and then reclaiming the return postage.
However, I was offered the option of having Amazon picking up the return from a local shop, in my case a local petrol station with a large parking area, less than a mile from where I live.
This was painless, it is a recent innovation at my local petrol station.
The website takes you to a RMA and Address label printout for the goods, You get a proof of return receipt from the local shop.

Plus.....

For another new order, there is the option to have it delivered to the same place.
For me to collect, at my convenience.
Open 7 days a week, 6am to midnight !
My local main post office, for collection of non-delivered parcels, is only open 6am to 12 noon ... the next day  ... Monday to Friday!!
This is a recent innovation for myself, though several suppliers have been running a similar scheme for a while.
Previous shop for returns for another company was 5 miles away, they now show 4 very local shops for myself
I do buy a lot from Amazon, so this is great for myself.
I've never had a problem with Amazon return, refunds on the same day, or exchanges quick.

As I say, this scheme also appears to extend to other suppliers too now
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Amazon, & others local collection point for returns and orders.

Yep had this with an Argos return as well, just print the label and drop it off at a local petrol station.
Quite a few company's seem to be using collect+ now.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Why should you need to faff about claiming the cost back - I just complete the returns form, print off the free post label and send it back via the local post office
Community Veteran

Some companies don't offer this, so you have to :
a. visit PO
b. get POP
c. Claim cost of postage back from company.
This method is a lot better, for the companies that use it.
Community Veteran

the thread is about Amazon who do
Fixes: 47

I've used the service from Amazon and also the RMA and Post Office method. Either was fine by me.
I did also have a faulty Humax Freesat box and contacted Humax under warranty.
They sent a carrier with a plastic box containing a replacement Freesat unit. We swapped units and away he went. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
the thread is about Amazon who do

It's also in Chit Chat  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've never had tomyself but my partner has collected and returned quite a few things from one of the local shops. It must be said it is very convenient and a very good idea. The post office in town is a pain to get to (although in fairness we do have another in a residential area with a big car park that we always forget about) and the local shop that does the parcel collection / return has its own parking which is very convenient.
What does worry me though is that the post office and royal mail are struggling and in a few years we might not have either!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The post office is one of those services that needs to finally move with the times and think of what is convenient to their hard working customers.
Something that GP's also need to do if they can find the time between rounds of golf.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Sprite
What does worry me though is that the post office and royal mail are struggling and in a few years we might not have either!

Recently the Post Office closed the nearest sorting office to my mother's and now everyone has to travel 10 miles to the nearest one for collection of undelivered parcels or wait for redelivery. Baring in mind there is a huge OAP population in the area I feel this is unacceptable Sad
With the likes of those mentioned above along with Parcel+ surely Royal Mail should be making things easier not harder for their customers!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes I remember hearing about that in your area on the TV a while back and thinking it would cause problems.
Still, we're the little people, what do we know?  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
Why should you need to faff about claiming the cost back - I just complete the returns form, print off the free post label and send it back via the local post office

It's not a FREEPOST label, and the returns postage is £3.30 ish, as quoted by Amazon.
And that is for a small item.
For anything larger, again you are tied to Post Office times and queues, or Royal Mail letterbox sized slots for any postage paid for returns..
Petrol Station  being open 6am to Midnight, ample on-site parking, and virtually any sized item, in either direction, wins hands down.
I am known at my local Petrol Station, and the item has my name & Address on it, so there probably wouldn't be a problem after the main doors are shut after 10pm ish.

Amazon had sorted out the replacement USB stick, before I had even finished printing out the label and forms. ie within 5 minutes, of ticking the box to return faulty item.
Community Veteran

I don't understand what you are saying - yes the label isn't freepost per se but it is a prepaid label - and this was for a book also they didn't quote any charges and never have on the few occasions I have had to return something
For me the local sub post office is half a mile up the road and very convenient and I was replying to this statement
I had to return a faulty 32GB USB stick, and was resigned to a long queue at the local post office, and then reclaiming the return postage.
Infinity
Pro

Perhaps it's a different label for returning faulty goods, which may be much larger than a book, and possibly not handled by the Royal Mail.
My local post office is a main post office, and the queues at times can be be horrendous, and it's further away than the Petrol station, and parking is even further away.
They've closed all the smaller local sub post offices !

Razer
Grafter

Jim, some of us don't have a printer and we have to pay for postage ourselves and then reclaim it from Amazon. I have a nightmare with every, single return. The parcel always gets logged at the returns centre as 'non-deliverable' which means they log it as something they sent out and couldn't deliver to you. So you don't get your refund and have to contact them for it. This has been going on for at least five years for me. I'd love to have somewhere I can drop it off and not have to go through paying for and reclaiming postage. I wish, as I've suggested to them before, that they would print a returns label on the back of the invoice, so we can just use that, but I know they won't do that because I think more people would just return items when they ought not to.