cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Product Launch

Community Veteran

Amazon Product Launch

Amazon has launched its latest product today - Kindle Fire.
Fire
With this product they are targeting the iPad market and early reviews are good.
Three new versions of the Kindle reader have also been released.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Amazon Product Launch

I've been tempted to get a kindle if nothing else to free up room, yearly I end up feeding the book bank to regain space.  But they keep bringing out a new one Keeping the price too high.  Then theres the difference in price in US vs UK, 79$ = £50 add on vat and it is around £60 not the current £89
Now the Next version which will keep the price artificially high.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I switched to an e-reader a couple of years ago - like you I read a lot - boot sales were my main source of books though.
I have a Sony PRS-505 and it has been great, using Calibre to convert/send the books to the reader. The prices of new ebooks can be silly though ££ MORE than a hardback - thy have to be joking right? (Rip of time!)
I tend to use the free sources of books  Tongue and read between 1-3 a week, using the reader for several hours a day it only needs charged once a MONTH  Grin
The new Kindles look interesting but as you say $-£ does not = *1.5 rather the OTHER way round, come on Amazon  Crazy
Fixes: 47

I read this yesterday here
Amazon.com unveiled its long-awaited tablet computer Wednesday with a $199 price tag, potentially cheap enough to give Apple's iPad some serious competition for the first time.

I don't think apple has any concerns yet as far as this item goes......not that I'm an Apple fan.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

If you're thinking of buying a 3rd gen Kindle then you can do worse than keep tabs on the links here and here where Amazon offer refurbed models.
IME they come as new, although sometimes without the mains adapter for the USB charger.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

Quote from: Gus
Then theres the difference in price in US vs UK, 79$ = £50 add on vat and it is around £60 not the current £89

I read the US version gets Ads on screen, which pays for some of the costs, the UK version does not include any Ads.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

The non-advert US Kindle equivalent is $109, the $79 version is subsided with adverts.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
prichardson
Grafter

I was going to buy a Kindle 3G, but it seems that the so call refurb stock has run out. They only have WiFi refurbs available and if the norm occurs, I'm not expecting them until mid-January.
David_W
Rising Star

I think Amazon may be able to tackle Apple head on with their product if the price is right (which it seems to be).  The sweet spot seems to be around £200, you can get pretty poor tablets for £100 but because the hardware is poor they don't sell very well, but if you look at the HP Touchpad it had very good hardware and the people who got them for £89 are selling them easily for £200 so if Amazon can bring out decent hardware then people will buy it.
The biggest problem with the tablet market is the markup.  Too many tablets are trying to compete with Apple but using Apple pricing, people who use Apple products are used to having a 150% markup so competing with them at near the same price isn't going to bring people away from the iFruit.  Amazon can afford to sell their Fire at near enough cost as they should make money on subs from books, videos and such, as well as their subscription model (something like $80 a year?).  So, you're getting decent hardware, a good OS and a great ecosystem for a great price.
Naturally it never works that way, people still buy iPhones even though much cheaper phones are better, but there are a lot of people who can't justify spending £400 on a tablet who may be tempted to get a mid-range one at low range prices, it'll be interesting to see how it works out.  Experts are already saying the Fire won't threaten the iPad at all, but I guess that's because they already bought an iPad so don't want to seem silly for spending so much on one when Amazon can bring out a device for $200.
Also keep in mind that it is an Android tablet, in a few weeks time it'll be unlocked and able to run a custom Android rom, so people will buy the $79 ad supported version and just take off the Amazon branding, it's a win/win situation Smiley
Community Veteran

This from Amazon:
Fire
Community Veteran

Comparing the Fire and iPad.
comparison

David_W
Rising Star

I don't agree with the theory Apple will drop prices for their iPad, it is more likely to force other Droid machines to drop in price though, no point paying £300 for a 7" android tablet when you can pay much less for the Amazon version which is a high quality device.  I already own a tablet (Kogan, cost me £89 with capacitive screen and what-not so was a pretty good buy) but if I didn't I'd be tempted by the Fire.
Community Veteran

Apparently the pre-order sales here in the US are very encouraging.  Looks like they have a winner from initial responses.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just one comment on the price of Kindle books. The publisher gets 70% of the cover price (in some cases of overseas sales this drops to 35%) and Amazon keeps the balance. Other than that there is no reason why the e-book should cost more than the printed book. Printing costs are less than a penny per page and a lot less for high volume.  Dependant on quality adding a "hardback" costs about one pound per book for small quantities. With e-books the publisher gains by not having  to print a holding stock of books and there are no warehouse or transport costs.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

One interesting thing about Kindle books is that anyone can write a book but few will be able to write a good book but it gives everybody the chance to write a book and then allow others to download it either for free or for a minimal sum.
I have read a number of books for a £1 or less and the standards vary but some are excellent, as the author publishes more he / she can then raise the price of future books.
Some previously unknown authors have made considerable money out of this such a Stephen Leather