cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Prime v Netflix

Fixes: 47

Amazon Prime v Netflix

I signed up to Amazon Prime last night and cancelled 18 minutes later.

It appears that much of what is on offer attracts a fee on top of the subscription.

I gather you can filter out the chargeable stuff but it seems too easy to reselect it and incur a charge.

I then signed up to Netflix which doesn't appear to have this 'disadvantage'.

I'll have another read.

If anyone has any pointers for me, they are most welcome.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
11 REPLIES
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Amazon Prime v Netflix

You're right in that Netflix is purely a subscription service whereas Amazon video is subscription, but also offers the addition of content to buy and rent.

Incidentally, you can set a pin to prevent accidental purchases 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201422940

As an aside, you may want to have a look at NowTV (which is Sky's standalone streaming service) too, they offer a 14 day trial

http://www.nowtv.com

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I had Netflix, but found I was watching it less and less so I cancelled the Subscription. I joined Amazon Prime 9 months ago and find I still use it for films and TV quite regularly.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

For us it's not a case of either-or, since we primarily use them to watch 'Originals' so have both. We dip in out of NowTV too occasionally, mainly for HBO stuff.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I use the filter selection for prime video on my Roku 3 by pressing * . Can't remember what I used  on the playstation but in each case only the prime videos stuff shows up. Can't say I've ever been confused by the banner across the video tbh.

Steve
Pro

I got a Now TV box a couple years back. Not dipped back into it for a while. Cheap for the latest movies.  No reason to  while Netflix is always emailing me free trials because they miss me so I watch things on it for free. BUT I will give them a sub back next month, don't want to be greedy and have them thinking I am abusing their offers!

Thanks so far guys.

Plenty of food for thought Smiley

Steve
Pro

That Amazon Prime seems well shady to me going by your op @Strat. Don't go to Netflix for latest releases I think Sky gobbles them all up!!

I think a bit more research is required @Steve.

I've had Netflix before and it was ok for what I wanted but I'll have a more detailed look at what Amazon Prime is really offering.

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

We have netflix and enjoy it very much... we have skytv + movies which im going to cancel next month its cheaper to use netflix. Sky say that we get a premiere movie once a month but to be honest most of these premiere movies we have never heard of.

Ive tried the prime trial and didnt think much of it, so for us we will be stick too netflix as we dont mind waiting for new movies to come out and if we really want to watch somthing then we will go to the cinema Smiley

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Minivanman
Hero

I have access to both as well as Sky but never watch it as they certainly seem to have moved those charging goalposts of late added to which, Netflix knocks them into a cocked hat when it comes to content.

Amazon? Rubbish.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
nanotm
Pro

Strat wrote:

I think a bit more research is required @Steve.

I've had Netflix before and it was ok for what I wanted but I'll have a more detailed look at what Amazon Prime is really offering.

if you just went prime for the movies your missing out on some of the other stuff, I started using amazon prime for delivery's back before they had the tv and music added in, I've continued to pay for the deliveries side of it and enjoyed the bonus of free music and tv /films heck I've even signed up to the kindle unlimited because I was spending so much on digital books, 

oh and they do plenty of "prime original" tv series true they often come out on tv channels 6 months to a year later but since its a free additional extra why wait lol 

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you